water storage bin sizes - thoughts?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at a number photos of water storage set ups from members here on the forum. I notice many have water storage bins that, combined, do not equal the total water volume of the display tank / sump volume. I understand that once the tank / sump are filled, there really isn't a need to have a large amount of water in reserve. Mainly just enough for water changes and top off.

what exactly do you guys do if you have to do an emergency, large volume water change?
Obviously the water bins don't have the water volume needed.

just thinking about it elevates my stress level, :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . I'm sure you guys have this all figured out. share your knowledge!!

(my last tank set up was about about 170 gallons. my water bins equaled 150 gallons, so i could do that huge water change if needed. that's where my mind set is)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this tote. Works well if you have the room. Holds 275gal.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
what exactly do you guys do if you have to do an emergency, large volume water change?
Obviously the water bins don't have the water volume needed.

I grow and sell a lot of corals but don't sell locally. What you've described is precisely why. I have about 400 gallons of saltwater between 3 systems and only a 30 gallon ro reservoir. In an emergency I'm incredibly ill prepared. However, I have agreat relationship with my LFS and guarantee that if I called needing a ton of water in the middle of the night, I'd get it.

If someone local wants some of my corals they generally need to go through the LFS to get them. I respect and appreciate not only what they already do for me, but also what I may need form them in an emergency. I steer well clear of stepping on their toes regarding sales.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g display, 50g fuge and a basement sump. I’ve dealt with emergency situations where having the house painted the tank was nuked.

Fortunately I have a large (almost 300g) water storage tank in the basement for RO water plumbed to a 50g barrel for mixing salt water in. If you google “ door way width water storage tank” you will see lots of convenient options for storing a large amount of water indoors. Although I have to work in 50g increments I can do the entire tank volume in a couple hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back