Storing Mixed Saltwater for water changes- 5gl jugs

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a number of 5gl storage jugs that I use for storing my RO/DI water. I would like to do the same for pre-mixed saltwater that I make to use for water changes. I was wondering if how long the saltwater is good in a sealed container as shown. I would like to make 15-20gls at a time in my Brute and then move it to a couple 5gl containers.

Any idea how long saltwater lasts in a sealed container?

Thanks
IMG_8058 (1).jpg

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use tropic Marin, almost indefinitely. There’s a vid BRS put out about storing the different kinds of salt mixes, too

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a number of 5gl storage jugs that I use for storing my RO/DI water. I would like to do the same for pre-mixed saltwater that I make to use for water changes. I was wondering if how long the saltwater is good in a sealed container as shown. I would like to make 15-20gls at a time in my Brute and then move it to a couple 5gl containers.

Any idea how long saltwater lasts in a sealed container?

Thanks
IMG_8058 (1).jpg
Out of curiosity... I have this exact 5gal container.. minecwas labeled seachem.
Did yours STINK BAD? Like a very plasticky chemical hint of chlorine or bleach type smell? Many rodi soaks & rinses and lil vin/water & air drying and it's still there some.
Other than that..it's great! ..as it is balanced well.. has a divot in the lid made to fit ½inch hose or rodi bulkhead and the back handle has that threaded protrusion that came with
a cap & can be drilled for air hole or ¼ inch ro line.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question for those that have larger storage containers for 200 plus gallon systems. When you empty such a large container, do you rinse them out with any type of weak bleach solution because of a buildup of diatoms area

Even though I keep my 25 gallon tub lid all the time diatoms are still able to to build up between water changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back