Storing salt water - timeframe

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm in the mood, I like to mix as much salt water as possible and store them in buckets with lids. Question is, how long can saltwater be stored for in such cases? I'm assuming there's no impact on the chemistry of the water (assuming there's no evaporation).

Thanks

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does depend on the salt being used. Some brands provide mixes that have relatively high calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity levels as they are mixed and then precipitate out relatively quickly. Others provide lower levels of these constituents as they are mixed but are more "stable". Without knowing the brand, the general consensus is two or three weeks provided you keep it in a somewhat air tight container.

Last edited:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like above, but some, especially "ProBiotic" salts should be used immediately and some high alkalinity ones should be used 3-5 days.
The rest may last longer, although some alkalinity might be lost due to precipitation.
Overall it is better to mix salt shortly before water change.

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Bulk Reef Supply did an investigation of the stability of calcium and alkalinity of numerous salts a while back. They reported this salt was generally stable over a period of 3 weeks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

I personally would not store it without keeping it aerated, and you will probably lose the hypothesized benefit of vitamins they put in it as bacteria consume them (I doubt the benefit, FWIW)

i personally avoided RC for this reason, and used normal IO over a month or two after mixing.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm in the mood, I like to mix as much salt water as possible and store them in buckets with lids. Question is, how long can saltwater be stored for in such cases? I'm assuming there's no impact on the chemistry of the water (assuming there's no evaporation).

Thanks
I have stored water mixed with IORC for a couple months and it was fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back