Storing unused live sand for future use? Adding new live sand after a tank has cycled?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if one can store live sand sealed back up as best you can for future use. Also I am curious if adding live sand to an already cycled tank will cause problems. About four months ago I wanted to add a little bit of sand to make up for substrate that I had vac'd out of the tank. I added some carib sea live sand. Expectedly my water was cloudy for a few days however it was for a couple of weeks that I had white film algae on my glass. I am at the point where I'd like to once again add a little bit of new sand (I like to keep about a 1/4" of substrate in my tank evenly) Is adding from the bag of once used live sand the wrong move? Is adding from a new bag of live sand going to throw off my already cycled and stable tank? Is there a suitable substrate I can use to top off the current sand without having an ill effect of the currently stable chemistry of my system? Thank you!

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a bag of dry sand instead of live. Personally I’ll only ever use dry sand as I find no benefit in “live” sand unless it’s really sand from the ocean.

I always have a 40# bag in my house that I use to top off my sand level in my 20g tank. I rinse 5-10# of it in a 5 gallon bucket and let it dry out. Then I cover it and use as needed.

OP
OP
nothing_fancy

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a bag of dry sand instead of live. Personally I’ll only ever use dry sand as I find no benefit in “live” sand unless it’s really sand from the ocean.

I always have a 40# bag in my house that I use to top off my sand level in my 20g tank. I rinse 5-10# of it in a 5 gallon bucket and let it dry out. Then I cover it and use as needed.
Thanks Nick, is there a particular type or brand of dry sand that has worked for you?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back