Strange Coral (?) Growth on dead Cynarina

Xefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Cynarina died some months back but I left it in on the remote off chance it made a come back. Today I decided to remove it whilst doing a proper round of tank maintenance and found this on the side. Looks and feels like a soft corals but doesn't fluoresce under blue light. Any idea what this is? White and blue light pics attached.

PXL_20240330_153929043.MP.jpg PXL_20240330_154008420.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ny idea what this is?
The pattern looks like colonial tunicates, possibly Golden Star Tunicates, Botryllus schlosseri.

They're highly invasive (to the point where they can grow over and smother corals and macroalgae), so if you want to keep them, keep them somewhere where you can easily trim them back/contain them. Other than their invasiveness, they're pretty filter feeders and won't harm anything that moves.

OP
OP
X

Xefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pattern looks like colonial tunicates, possibly Golden Star Tunicates, Botryllus schlosseri.

They're highly invasive (to the point where they can grow over and smother corals and macroalgae), so if you want to keep them, keep them somewhere where you can easily trim them back/contain them. Other than their invasiveness, they're pretty filter feeders and won't harm anything that moves.
Thanks! I'll remove them, would rather play it safe and not risk them getting too out of control as I'm guessing they were already present somewhere else in the tank as there was no sign of them on the Cynarina previously. I'd inspected it fairly thoroughly when it started getting sick. I guess they may turn up again. They weren't getting any direct light so I'm assuming they like dark areas.

I guess it's not the worst thing for the tank to be at a point tunicates can thrive though at least!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back