Strange Dispar Anthias behavior

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I thought I'd lost one of my Dispar Anthias--around the 13th of this month is when I notated it in my build thread so maybe even a few days before that. It just seemed to have disappeared.

Today I found it in the cave the 2 of them usually share. Still alive. I fed the tank again to see if it would come out and it didn't but it did seem to grab some food. Previously, since I got it, it has been out with the other dispar--got them both in Feb.

Why is it suddenly in hide mode? Will squirt food into that cave for it now that I know it is there. Not sure if one of them is changing to male or not. Been watching for it. Haven't seen any aggression previously to the pair of them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not strange behavior at all - quite typical behavior for pseudoanthis that are either being bullied or are sick.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's being bullied. The other dispar goes into the cave to "visit". No sign of aggression, more of a checking on the other fish. Other fish are 1 bangaii, 2 darwin clowns that don't bully anyone except my hand, 2 blue-green chromis that also do not bully. A scooter dragonet and a mandarin. Usually the chromis, clowns and dispars all hang in the same area of the tank together all day with the dispars swimming about a bit more than the others. If sick, it's been a good 10 days or more that its been in hid mode. Guess I just watch and see. Relieved it is still alive and in the tank!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont see it come out to eat, i would try to grab it and throw it in a qt.

My trigger went on a hiding binge which lasted a week. It ended when he was found stuck to my closed loop intake dead. :(

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there won't be a chance in you know what of getting that fish out without taking apart the rocks. It's in a bottom rock cave and would cause a lot more stress to everyone in the tank to try to get it out. also getting new fish tomorrow from La that will go into the qt tank. fish was great from feb to May so not sure what is happening

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend adding a few more dispars. One very likely is turning into male, and while dispars are pretty well-behaved to conspecifics, a 1:1 ratio male:female is stressful on the female. Increasing the group size should help.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @eatbreakfast I just ordered 2 more from LA. Had one cariberry from today's shippment DOA so just put in another order. I'm wondering if the 2 dispars I get in shouldn't go right into the display and not QT? I don't want to lose the one in hide mode. Would 4 weeks more be too stressful for the dispar hiding? Or should I QT as normal. I have an observation QT set up. 5 anthias in there now. 3 more on the way next week. 37 gal with light sand, fake plants and pvc towers

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should go through qt. It may be problematic for the struggling anthias already in the dt, but that isn't as bad as the potential for a bad disease making it into the dt.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. fingers crossed I don't lose the one. Before this, I was thinking that one of the dispars looked as though it was going male. This might be confirmation!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's your issue or not, but sometimes anthia that are transitioning to male seem to go through a period of being more shy than usual.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the thought @davocean that might be it. Hopefully it gets over it soon! I can't tell if the one out is female or the one I thought might be getting more color on its top fin. But it does goes into the cave like to check on the other one. No sign of aggression from either. I did order 2 more today so it will be 5 weeks before I have more in there.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always QT your fish. You have PLENTY of room in your qt. I would however ditch the sand in there to make siphoning out ich cycsts and detritous easier.

Cheers

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very thin layer, and most of it on one half. Spread out across entire bottom only 1/4 or 1/2 inch if that. Reason I left some was this used to be my display refugium and there were still pods and baby trochus snails and it provides filtration. when I do a major change after each qt. I vacuum and lose some sand. I don't tear it down between as right now I don't medicate unless I see an issue I can identify. Last batch of 5, 2 survived. No reason the lyretails all died but the royal grammas all survived. Hoping this new batch of lyretails and cariberri survive.

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious whatever ended up happening to the anthia @Susan Edwards ?

I’m seeing similar behavior. There were clear signs a few in my group were trying to decide who was going to be male so maybe one has finally been decided and is needing some alone time. At least I hope that is what is happening

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back