Strange Hairy Tube ID

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me ID some strange creatures I found on the underside of a frag...

I noticed a few in my sump sticking out of some rocks in there recently... Is this a pest I should eliminate / something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!
--Hunter

PXL_20210724_145633379.jpg

PXL_20210724_145648942.jpg

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirorbid worms perfectly harmless filter feeders can be a nuisance biofouling equipment

Ah, yeah, I definitely see those.

Didn't know what it was, so thanks!

But honestly that's actually not even the creature I was trying to ID here haha.

There's these cotton-like tubes that have been popping up lately... This is the first one I found on the bottom of a frag, though.

Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Spirobids on top, yes but what you are questioning are poriferan sponge. As long as you have access to plug, simply scrape off or brush off with toothbrush OUTSIDE the tank and drop a little hydrogen peroxide on them with q-tip and return frag to tank
They can get invasive

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirobids on top, yes but what you are questioning are poriferan sponge. As long as you have access to plug, simply scrape off or brush off with toothbrush OUTSIDE the tank and drop a little hydrogen peroxide on them with q-tip and return frag to tank
They can get invasive

Ah, interesting. Are these a pest that should be eradicated? I have seen them popping up in a number of places.

I'll definitely clean the frag at the very least. I was considering doing a dip (two little fishes revive, in particular). Is that going to kill the sponges?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ah, interesting. Are these a pest that should be eradicated? I have seen them popping up in a number of places.

I'll definitely clean the frag at the very least. I was considering doing a dip (two little fishes revive, in particular). Is that going to kill the sponges?
No. Air kill sponges as well as injection via syringe with vinegar. They are not dangerous, just in time can overtake certain coral.

Back