Strange live rock coloration

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing some strange live rock colors and textures. The tank is a 72 gallon that was [confession] a mostly unmaintained salt water fish only tank for 4 years using tap water and a canister filter. I kept salinity in check, other than that I didn't watch levels and water changes were far apart.

Converted to reef in December and I have been maintaining the levels since. Also made the Switch to RO/DI

I had HA problems a month after I started the conversion, lots of water changes, a Phosban reactor with RowaPhos and a lawnmower blenny cleared things up.

salinity 35 %,
KH 11 (salifert, PPI reads 9)
CA 420
PH 8
MG 1350

do the red patches look normal? what about the zebra print? I tried brushing it off and it seems like its on there pretty good.

I heard cyano brushes off, so hopefully this is something else!

thanks for the help!

img2693small.jpg

img2692small.jpg

img2691small.jpg

img2694small.jpg

am07f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ hahah

yea Coraline algae can come in different colors. It looks good to me.

It can be affected by your calc and your alk, makes that lighter color. It can technically bleach just like a coral.

If that happens, filamentous algae (can be fuzzy) will grow over the calcium base left behind...

Tank102a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish only tank was maintained with tap water I would want to check for copper.
It seems like there could be copper in the rock. Although the coraline seems like a good sign.

Just my $.02

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back