stress resulting in disease. How do I do no harm?

richardkirkwalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, because of new flooring, I emptied all the water from my 75 gallon tank. Then, of course I put it back for a day then emptied it all out again and the refilled again. A lot of sediment was disturbed and my 13 year old tang died. (Can't believe they are $500 now). But more disturbing is my large polyp colony I've grown for 30 years is diseased, partially closed all the time and sickly. Also my anemone I need for the safety of my calico clown pair is not well. I'm afraid that obsessing may do more harm than good. Are there any high probability proven cures? I also got a concomitant algae issue that I'm managing. All the parameters are literally perfect from Ph to specific gravity, temperature, etc. No phosphates or nitrates and I've done 4 water changes. I'm sure it's stress and disease. And perhaps my not feeding the anemone until lately. I know antibiotics are an option but I'm totally ignorant about that. Thanks very much for anything useful. I'm sort of in the hope and do no harm stage.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to stir up any more sediment in the foreseeable future - something you stirred up in the sandbed is almost certainly the cause. You could try a UV but I don't know if that will help. With the corals you have an option to dip (Reef Shot has worked well for me), but other than light and feeding for the anemone I'm not sure there's much more you can do (trying to move it could potentially be more harmful at this point).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back