Corals?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've never thought I would do that but I think I'm ready for anemons, but ones without blue light
20240321_163114.jpg
my "poor" light looks like this, I put the blue tape because it would be too much light, and about anemones, should I really quarantine them? Hitchhikers are not a problem for me, but only diseases, do anemone diseases exist? I don't really care about fish diseases because my tank is 6 gallons without any fish for like 100 days, so diseases will disappear I think, my parameters aren't that good yet, KH, Calcium and Magnesium is pretty good tho (8dkh, 1300ppm mg, 450 ppm Ca) but pH and nitrates aren't fixed yet (7.8 pH, 30 ppm nitrate) the tank has only inverts for now

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and what light is that? My first thought is lighting needs to be upgraded first.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and what light is that?
Exactly, I don't even know what the heck is that light, just white LEDs from a freshwater with blue tape to decrease lightning, the tank is almost 3 months old

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I don't even know what the heck is that light, just white LEDs from a freshwater with blue tape to decrease lightning, the tank is almost 3 months old
You have about another 6 months before you should try an anemone and need to upgrade the lighting

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh I mean anemones sorry
No worries. With a system that small an anemone will end up taking most of it. I would recommend something like an Ai Prime or comparable for lighting. I also wouldn't even attempt an anemone for at least another 3 months. When you do, try and find one from a local reefer instead of LFS or shipped for a better chance at survival.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. With a system that small an anemone will end up taking most of it. I would recommend something like an Ai Prime or comparable for lighting. I also wouldn't even attempt an anemone for at least another 3 months. When you do, try and find one from a local reefer instead of LFS or shipped for a better chance at survival.
In 6 months I'll definitely have a luxury 50L tank with a sump and special lightning, but you're right, anemones grow so much and that is kind of bad, by the way do anemones have diseases? Should they be quarantined?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I've never thought I would do that but I think I'm ready for anemons, but ones without blue light
20240321_163114.jpg
my "poor" light looks like this, I put the blue tape because it would be too much light, and about anemones, should I really quarantine them? Hitchhikers are not a problem for me, but only diseases, do anemone diseases exist? I don't really care about fish diseases because my tank is 6 gallons without any fish for like 100 days, so diseases will disappear I think, my parameters aren't that good yet, KH, Calcium and Magnesium is pretty good tho (8dkh, 1300ppm mg, 450 ppm Ca) but pH and nitrates aren't fixed yet (7.8 pH, 30 ppm nitrate) the tank has only inverts for now
This light likely insufficient for most coral. See and watch the R2R marketplace for many used options.
Some corals are not picky with lighting such as condylactus anemones, Mushroom xenia and some leathers.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 6 months I'll definitely have a luxury 50L tank with a sump and special lightning, but you're right, anemones grow so much and that is kind of bad, by the way do anemones have diseases? Should they be quarantined?
I've never had issue with disease from a nem, that doesn't mean it can't happen though. With that new system just keep in mind that it needs to be mature before adding an anemone. They don't do well in new systems.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issue with disease from a nem, that doesn't mean it can't happen though. With that new system just keep in mind that it needs to be mature before adding an anemone. They don't do well in new systems.
I'm also worried about tank changing like how am I gonna just move all of the sand and water into a tank that is half the size of the one right now...

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also worried about tank changing like how am I gonna just move all of the sand and water into a tank that is half the size of the one right now...
Sand and water don't matter. It's the rocks that matter most. When changing tanks I would use new rinsed sand and new freshly made saltwater.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand and water don't matter. It's the rocks that matter most. When changing tanks I would use new rinsed sand and new freshly made saltwater.
Cycling!!!! And in my opinion rock would be the simplest, mine aren't glued or anything

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back