Striped Mushrooms and Hairy Mushrooms

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions as to what may have happened to my mushrooms and devils hand. The tank has been established for 11 years and all parameters check out. Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, pH 8.0, Alk .25 but I’m using a API kit, salinity 1.025, phosphates 0.

Noticed a few weeks ago that all of the mushrooms were shriveling up and becoming transparent. My devils hand also became slumped over. My fish also seemed very sluggish.

Started doing some additional testing and found that my heater was clearly failing and the water temp nose dived to around 63 F. Not good of course. Also discovered that my apex probe also failed and was reading the last know temp of 78. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice temp when my hand/arm was in the tank but needless to say I didn’t.

Got a new heater installed as quickly as possible but I have not idea how long the temp was that low. Temp came back with a couple of days. Fish are back to themselves but not the mushrooms or devils hand. Temp has been back to 78 for a a couple of weeks now and still not much of any change. The striped mushrooms are no longer shriveled but not much color and somewhat transparent.

The only thing I can think is that the low temp is the culprit.

Thoughts?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, No3 ,Po4 0? not good even with api tests.

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, No3 ,Po4 0? not good even with api tests.
As far as my eyes can tell they are both 0. I’ve used API for years and have had many spouts of detectable amounts of both No3 and Po4 using their kit. What do you recommend for testing?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
possibly defective api kit ?
not going to recommend any in particular ,but would be more concerned, after 11yrs No4 & Po 3 bottomed out ??
sounds strange to me , take in a sample ,get checked before making any drastic moves...

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly defective api kit ?
not going to recommend any in particular ,but would be more concerned, after 11yrs No4 & Po 3 bottomed out ??
sounds strange to me , take in a sample ,get checked before making any drastic moves...
Possibly a bad kit I guess. Just purchased it last summer and expiration is 2025. Bottoming out is news to me, didn’t know there was such a thing. Unfortunately nobody local has the capability of testing water. Only place we had closed up a few years ago and they used API as well.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order Salifert test kits on Amazon if no one is close. They may be starving with zero nutrients. Bacteria populations can change but that is typical for much younger tanks

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly ,after 11 yrs ,I don't think possible ? bottoming out can lead to Dino's.
@vetteguy53081 could recommend you a good list of test kits.

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 being 0 does surprise me a bit because I usually have cyano a couple times of year but mainly in the summer months. I haven’t had any since late last summer. Tests still showed positive results until after the temp issue. Just happened to fall in between me testing I guess.

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested NO3 again and it looks closer to 5ppm now. Maybe? Looks darker in person compared to the picture.

Attachments

• ECB35413-5FE4-4CA5-B57C-7CDFA7248CED.jpeg
    ECB35413-5FE4-4CA5-B57C-7CDFA7248CED.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 retest also looks to be about .25 now. My eyes are really bad.

Attachments

• E4C588DB-7E6B-4C5E-AD26-7EA8B9DB3819.jpeg
    E4C588DB-7E6B-4C5E-AD26-7EA8B9DB3819.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 14

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So probably the cold shock. I had a trachy that was shocked by zero nutrients to the point of translucency. Took a year to recover but is one of the brightest in my tank now. Give these time in stable conditions. They will hopefully recover. I would still get decent test kits. Also it's a good idea to run dual heaters and change them out yearly.

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So probably the cold shock. I had a trachy that was shocked by zero nutrients to the point of translucency. Took a year to recover but is one of the brightest in my tank now. Give these time in stable conditions. They will hopefully recover. I would still get decent test kits. Also it's a good idea to run dual heaters and change them out yearly.
Sounds good! Thank you. I’ll definitely be doing something different with the heaters. I already purchased a couple of extras.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions as to what may have happened to my mushrooms and devils hand. The tank has been established for 11 years and all parameters check out. Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, pH 8.0, Alk .25 but I’m using a API kit, salinity 1.025, phosphates 0.

Noticed a few weeks ago that all of the mushrooms were shriveling up and becoming transparent. My devils hand also became slumped over. My fish also seemed very sluggish.

Started doing some additional testing and found that my heater was clearly failing and the water temp nose dived to around 63 F. Not good of course. Also discovered that my apex probe also failed and was reading the last know temp of 78. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice temp when my hand/arm was in the tank but needless to say I didn’t.

Got a new heater installed as quickly as possible but I have not idea how long the temp was that low. Temp came back with a couple of days. Fish are back to themselves but not the mushrooms or devils hand. Temp has been back to 78 for a a couple of weeks now and still not much of any change. The striped mushrooms are no longer shriveled but not much color and somewhat transparent.

The only thing I can think is that the low temp is the culprit.

Thoughts?
Any change in lighting? Generally too bright of white intensity will bleach them as they will expel their zooxanthellae which is their energy blocks. High Phosphate can do the same. Cold water will have effect but they usually bounce back as it returns to normal (as would happen with shipping) and fish sluggish would be slow metabolism due to cold temps. Corals will take longer to recover

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any change in lighting? Generally too bright of white intensity will bleach them as they will expel their zooxanthellae which is their energy blocks. High Phosphate can do the same. Cold water will have effect but they usually bounce back as it returns to normal (as would happen with shipping) and fish sluggish would be slow metabolism due to cold temps. Corals will take longer to recover
I did change lights a bit after getting temp back to normal. I think I will drop the intensity down a bit to see.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did change lights a bit after getting temp back to normal. I think I will drop the intensity down a bit to see.
Will make a difference. Typical is subtle to moderate light and moderate water flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 85 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back