struggling to maintain Alk/Calcium etc...

dburnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am struggling to maintain Alk and Ca. I was hand dosing these untill a month ago and bought a doser and have been dosing about 5-7 ml of all-for-reef/day. I had a calcium spike a week ago (550) while PH stayed about 8.2. Today, Ca is 450, and Alk was at 7.5. Also testing for 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, have been for some time. Mostly softy, LPS 60 gal tank. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with 'all-for-reef' but I would say bring things to level and maintain it with kalkwasser instead. It just is a no brainer, easy, and reliable way to maintain balanced Ca & Alk. Double-check the calibration on your doser as well. You might want to up the nutrients for the softies. What test kits are you using for all parameters?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef is a one step Formate processes that is supposed to supply alk and calcium. If its working there is no need to dose kalk.

This leads to the inevitable problem of excessive calcium buildup because in a softie/lps dominated tank alk wil almost certainly deplete faster than calcium.

This means you are going to have to back off the dosing of All for Reef to get calcium stable, and manually dose alk/baking soda to get alk inline.

OP
OP
dburnsworth

dburnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Thank you. I thought maybe Ca wasn’t being used enough and was affecting Alk. Was hoping this would settle out, but maybe not. I’ve been over feeding to get nitrates and Phos up...but it won’t budge.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out some of the BRS videos on youtube. I am not at the point where I have tackled this topic, but I wanted a ~2 hour video the other night and they had some really good data.

Not sure if folks trust the info they provide, but I found their 16 years of reefing videos informative. Maybe because I was reefing back then and then took 8 years off. Nostalgia always makes thing more interesting.

OP
OP
dburnsworth

dburnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out some of the BRS videos on youtube. I am not at the point where I have tackled this topic, but I wanted a ~2 hour video the other night and they had some really good data.

Not sure if folks trust the info they provide, but I found their 16 years of reefing videos informative. Maybe because I was reefing back then and then took 8 years off. Nostalgia always makes thing more interesting.
Love BRS...I have watched it all. I think I am just missing something si
Okie here to level out...my dose sucks btw...Kamoer x1 Bluetooth. Seems to be doing it’s thing...but constantly disconnects from the app...so I don’t really know for sure-

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and keep it simple. Watch the BRS video on 2 part dosing.
I find it easy to test for Alk everyday and dose what is needed in the morning.
I then dose Calcium in the evening - only testing calcium on a weekly basis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back