Struggling with Nitrate & Phosphate

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't I pour the strained off liquid full of nitrates into the tank right now ? as a means to increase the nitrates to a healthy level.

yup good thinking. Assuming you Hanna tests are accurate, nuisance algae/bacteria can grab N from other sources when trace amounts of PO4 are present which coral cannot do. So it doesn't surprise me at that you have some building in the tank.

Your corals are going to love the addition of the defrosted water.

A good point was made in an earlier post about too much chemical filtration. IMO, if you are struggling at zero NO3 and PO4, cut back on filtration until you level off at you target NO3 and PO4 levels.

Balance and stability.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re having trouble with low nitrates may I suggest adding more fish to increase nitrate production? You can also manually dose potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate. There’s an online calculator for dosing nitrates that works well. I dose potassium nitrate whenever my nitrates get too close to 0-5ppm. I keep mine at 10ppm. I have a lot of corals an not many fish so I I have the same issue. Problem with nitrates at 0ppm is some of your coral will start to starve.

Here’s the calculator if you decide to dose. Search reef2reef for threads on dosing sodium and potassium nitrate if you’d like more info.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm
can you link me to the potassium nitrate you dose?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose neo phos and neo nitro to my ato to keep levels stable. Its cheap and easy, I add one cap of neo phos and two caps of neo nitro to my 5 gallon ato res every time I fill it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back