OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive. Just hanging out. Eating with assisted feeding. Swim bladder is starting to appear visually (bloated). Considering pinning.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Glad he is hanging in there. I really hope he improves for you. I have never pinned, so do not know the process or recommendations. Good luck.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the solarensis wrasse. Still alive, still eating (mysis/selcon). Ate some frozen food as well. Much more buoyant now. Exclusively belly up at the top of the tank.

I’m surprised it’s made it this far, but it just ate again and does have some energy. It has what looks like liaisons on its side. Not sure if it is a sign of something else (fluke release) or if it is just weathered from everything.

I’ve debated pinning and euthanasia, which I sort of feel is one of the same at this point.

For the sake of the McCoskers and yellow coris, I went ahead with another round of prazipro (1st round was cut short). Went fine (3/4 dose). I still feel like the first round hit some internal parasite on the solarensis, which then affected the swim bladder. Pure speculation and still looking for guidance. Have metro/kana/focus on hand. May have seen something white and stringy as well but no symptoms on anything else.

10536539-FA0A-4049-AACA-43128A03E2D1.jpeg

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive. Survived another round of Prazi. White stringy poop now. Going to feed metro and add epsom salt next to see if it helps the worms pass. The other fish in QT will need likely metro either way now.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the tank and it definitely got excited. But it’s in a nonstop barrel roll. And then it regurgitated something brown and stringy. I’ve never seen it before..
The barrel roll doesnt sound good. Im thinking bladder or spine.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solarensis finally passed last night after a few weeks of what I think was a bladder issue. Postmortem freshwater dip is showing flukes. I had done 2 rounds of prazipro at a 3/4 dose. There was also signs of white stringy poop towards the end (fairly sure of this).

@ReefSquad, @Humblefish, I would appreciate your help figuring a path forward for the other 2 wrasses in QT that are looking great and doing exceptionally well. I have prazipro, metro, kanaplex, and focus on hand. Also have methylene blue and malachite green if needed.

Should I freshwater dip the remaining 2 wrasses before prazi? Skip the dip? Feed metro during prazi? Thanks for your insights here.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your wrasse. Probably for the best. Poor guy.

I am happy to hear about the others doing well. I would do a round of metro if you haven't yet in the food for intestinal stuff.

Thanks for updates and well done on the care!

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I agree on metro. Should I freshwater dip the other 2 to check for visual signs of flukes? Another round of Prazi? In what order?

Stressful part of the hobby!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The freshwater dip is your call. I actually have not done them in over 16yrs. Not sure why, just never needed to I guess. I would just do metro and the last round of prazi. You did two right?

My wrasse in qt had only had metro and prazi too. She is doing great.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I have a prazi resistant strain? This pic is after 2 rounds (at 3/4 strength). Look at all these flukes! Should I go full strength with the 2 healthy wrasses, or change brand? Should feeding metro happen before, after, or during?

4A60940E-DCD3-4C9F-B1F7-C25411852369.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He was a fighter and two things came out of this:
- You managed issue well
- you sharpened your skills on fish recovery and management for distress

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at these guys under the microscope? Could be a type of fluke that is not fussed by the prazipro. Could be something totally different too. Curious...

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was a fighter and two things came out of this:
- You managed issue well
- you sharpened your skills on fish recovery and management for distress

Thank you sir. Yea I’ve read more threads on this then I can count. Still left with a lot of questions though about what to do with the 2 remaining fish in QT that look good, given the symptoms of the dead solarensis. Not out of the weeds yet.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at these guys under the microscope? Could be a type of fluke that is not fussed by the prazipro. Could be something totally different too. Curious...

Thanks for the note! I don’t have a microscope unfortunately. I feel pretty confident they were flukes but I’m no expert.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the solarensis wrasse. Still alive, still eating (mysis/selcon). Ate some frozen food as well. Much more buoyant now. Exclusively belly up at the top of the tank.

I’m surprised it’s made it this far, but it just ate again and does have some energy. It has what looks like liaisons on its side. Not sure if it is a sign of something else (fluke release) or if it is just weathered from everything.

I’ve debated pinning and euthanasia, which I sort of feel is one of the same at this point.

For the sake of the McCoskers and yellow coris, I went ahead with another round of prazipro (1st round was cut short). Went fine (3/4 dose). I still feel like the first round hit some internal parasite on the solarensis, which then affected the swim bladder. Pure speculation and still looking for guidance. Have metro/kana/focus on hand. May have seen something white and stringy as well but no symptoms on anything else.

10536539-FA0A-4049-AACA-43128A03E2D1.jpeg
Youve given a good effort. Been in that situation before. Youre a hero if you pull it off . If it gets bad look into clover oil (not trying to jinx ya)

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youve given a good effort. Been in that situation before. Youre a hero if you pull it off . If it gets bad look into clover oil (not trying to jinx ya)

Thanks. Oh I have some! The fish passed though. Trying to figure the best path forward for the remaining fish in QT.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the McCoskers has ick now. Will be deciding between ttm or copper. I’ve never done either.

The yellow coris looks perfect and they are both eating ferociously. They are 2 days into metro (soaked food) after the solarensis (now dead) had what looked like stringy poop. The solarensis also had flukes postmortem.

I don’t know what order to treat but know I have to tear the ick ASAP.

@ReefSquad can you help?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back