Stubborn Eel

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little sister fell in love with my saltwater tank, and has been wanting to get into the hobby for about 2 years now. This December I finally moved home, and with that she began hunting for her own tank. Shortly there after her co-worker posted their 55g FLOWR tank up for sale. She ran at the chance for it was only $300. She dragged me along to see it to make sure it was worth the investment, in the end for the price it was a steel. It needed a lot of work. Like a bigger sump (It was a 5 gallon wet dry with just enough room for a return pump) and a skimmer that actually worked.

But inside this 55 Gallon tank was a beauty. An Eel, the owners swore up and down it is a snowflake. I knew for sure it was not, still not 100 % sure of its identity, but I believe it is a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel (Any feed back on this would be awesome). So my sister bought the tank, I and got the Eel from her in exchange for an RODI unit, and few odds and ends to help stabilize her new system.

So now I have had this beautiful stubborn creature in my tank for about about 3.5 weeks, loosing my mind trying to get it to eat. Every night I have thrown everything I can think of at him, Silversides, Krill, mussles on the half shell, squid, shrimp from the store. With and with out garlic, for about an hour every night would hold it in the water and wave it around, alternating foods after 15-20 minutes. I've dropped it in the tank and walked about for an hour, a different piece each night. Some times he would come out and bump the item, but have no interest in eating it. Even when I would immediate drop it from him bumping. Nope nothing.

The previous owners had made passing comments they had lost a lot of fish due to them "Jumping out" (Their tank had a lid, but kids where present) and it was brought up during the discussion of the Eel. So I was thinking maybe he likes live food, maybe just maybe I could get him to eat something.. I found two black mollies, drip acclimated them to the tank and waited. The Eel poped his head out and went back inside is little din. After two days the Mollies died and did not survive the shock from being transferred to saltwater. Sadly the Eel showed no interest.

Doing tank maintenance this week I noticed my cerith snail population was looking a little thin, and one of my hermits had a new home that had a hole on the topside. I started looking around and sure enough cracked snail shells could be found in the sand the bed. So I am happy to say I at least I know the Eel has been eating something, that took some stress off my shoulders. On the brightside he has not yet taken out any of my mexican turbo or Astraea snails.. yet... but now how do I get him off my cleaning crew and on to frozen foods?

1586475445304.png

1586476578031.png

1586476680313.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what kind of eel that is (definately not a snowflake) but I am sure there's no stopping it from eating all of your snails and hermits!

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try live ghost shrimp? My ribbon eel won’t eat mollies, but loves ghost shrimp. When I first got him that’s all he would eat. Perhaps yours would enjoy some too. They can live for a while in saltwater which is a nice bonus.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time, eels be temperamental and go on a bit of a hunger strike after a move. Find out what he used to eat, don't make the pieces too large, catch his attention and make him chase it. Chum the water a bit of other food that you would normally broadcast feed, the smell may arouse him.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back