OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, set the coral containers over a large bucket, let them overflow into it, pump the water out of the container up to buckets with heaters, then let gravity take the water from the buckets down to the containers again?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, set the coral containers over a large bucket, let them overflow into it, pump the water out of the container up to buckets with heaters, then let gravity take the water from the buckets down to the containers again?

Yes, something like that. Three levels; a lowest tank with a pump, a highest bucket with gravity tubes to the corals, and middle level with the containers with the corals.
But I think you just need a pen and some paper and to start to draw. I'll figure out a good system. :)

/ David

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again Sallstrom!

I’m looking back over the pictures you posted a while ago. What size are the tubes you use to bring water into the coral’s containers? I’m beginning to put together an order list for my study. What kind of pump is used in your setup? I’m looking at the Micropump 104, it’s got a 30-60 gph flow rate, adjustable. I hope to find a 3-way split PVC adapter to put on the pump to divide the water flow to 3 different containers. These 3 containers would be the area the water is heated in to different temperatures, then flowed into the containers with the coral.

Issues i see are with flow rates. From the pump, the water needs ample time to heat up in the containers before flowing down to the coral. I’m deciding between .75 in and .5 in tubes for transporting water. I may have to restrict flow from the heater containers to the coral so the water heats up fast enough. Then once the water is heated enough, let it flow to the coral.

Let me know what you think so far. Thanks!

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everyone, long time no see!

Things are in motion with the study, I’m currently trying to work out some kinks in my design. I’ve found that the inflow to the buckets is too fast, as well as the inflow to the tanks. Looks like relying on siphon power isn’t going to be a feasible option. This throws a wrench into my original design. However, I think I’ve come up with a way around this dilemma.

Instead of relying on siphon, I could drill through the buckets and install an overflow pipe. This would allow the water to come in at almost any speed and have no risk of spilling over. I’ve drawn a quick sketch of my idea which I will attach. Please feel free to respond with your opinions or tweaks!

The problem with this design is the tanks. The tanks I have currently are glass, and I won’t be able to drill through to install an overflow pipe like I drew. I’m exploring options for some sort of clear plastic container that I can drill through that will act as a tank. I’m thinking cleaned out cheese ball buckets. I’m on a tight budget here. Send ideas if you’ve got them. Thank you!

74627836-8DFF-4C49-8B95-462CDDCFBC4E.jpeg

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everyone, long time no see!

Things are in motion with the study, I’m currently trying to work out some kinks in my design. I’ve found that the inflow to the buckets is too fast, as well as the inflow to the tanks. Looks like relying on siphon power isn’t going to be a feasible option. This throws a wrench into my original design. However, I think I’ve come up with a way around this dilemma.

Instead of relying on siphon, I could drill through the buckets and install an overflow pipe. This would allow the water to come in at almost any speed and have no risk of spilling over. I’ve drawn a quick sketch of my idea which I will attach. Please feel free to respond with your opinions or tweaks!

The problem with this design is the tanks. The tanks I have currently are glass, and I won’t be able to drill through to install an overflow pipe like I drew. I’m exploring options for some sort of clear plastic container that I can drill through that will act as a tank. I’m thinking cleaned out cheese ball buckets. I’m on a tight budget here. Send ideas if you’ve got them. Thank you!

74627836-8DFF-4C49-8B95-462CDDCFBC4E.jpeg
This is a picture of the current setup minus the pipes. They’re 1/2 in standard aquarium tubes.

AEA2AD51-7FAE-4379-B7AA-F42684D6E6F0.png

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

I’ve had the system cycling for a week or two now, and fixed a few small leaks as I noticed them. Now, the issue is not building the setup, but maintaining the temperature I want for each small tank. I have 3 2.5 gallon buckets with 150 watt glass heaters in each. However, the temperature across the whole system appears to be relatively similar. I’m using labquest stainless steel temperature probes to get accurate readings. I’ll attach pictures of what it looks like. Now, i’m Trying to figure out how to get the temperature to differ enough to make a difference. I’m aiming for 78, 80, and 82 degree water. I feel like the reason it’s so similar across the board is the heater set to 82 is working hard enough to bring the whole system to 82, instead of just the water in it’s bucket. So when it heats up, the water flows through into the bottom, gets cycled back up fast enough to remain the same temperature, and that temperature carries across to the other tanks. If anyone can think of any way to get around this please let me know. Right now I’m considering the options of installing a fan to cool the water from the 82 hose, or running the hose through a mini fridge before it hits the bottom so it cools. Any input is appreciated, thank you!

78C155F8-2DD7-46C9-B681-B1F4745D0F1E.jpeg

C5E2E7BF-CFFC-407D-8386-AA8136BD3B6B.jpeg

678BE428-9830-4114-95EC-A508D9E1EA4F.jpeg

606488ED-D0FF-43AA-AB6B-512B006ABC1D.jpeg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!
I can't think of any easy ways to cool down the water. Maybe a larger sump(but you'll probably need a chiller anyway). And/or reduce the flow through the buckets.

Looking forward to the progression.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back