Stupid questions asked by smart people

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
2,385
Reaction score
70
Location
Corn, Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has something they know a lot about. Usually this qualifies them as being intelligent. My friend, a physicist, engineer, and part time scientist, recently asked me the following:

"Are fish tanks water proof?"

I responded, "No, they are designed to just hold it in. If the outside gets wet they break."

He responded, "that must be a pain in the butt."

I concluded with, "really?"

End of story.

If you have had similar questions about things that should be common sense please feel free to share.

Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. Or is it the other way around?
 
I was ask why I wasn't afraid to have "all that electricity under my aquarium", by our very intelligent CPA.
I said, "Well, it should be OK, I have a GFCI and am grounded with the titanium bar".
He said, after a brief period of thought. .... drum roll...."So, how does having a degree in that and those credentials prevent you from getting shocked"?
Stunned, I just answered, "Electrons don't like salt water". Then smiled and dropped the subject knowing to explain would be a waste of good breath.
He lifted his chin as if to say, oh yeah, that's right. I turned to look at my wife as she left the room to politely go have a good laugh out of hearing range.
We both enjoyed a giggle later that evening as we recalled the conversation repeatedly.

A few days later my wife pointed at the GFCI outlet on the wall and ask if it was the one I had a degree in?.. it never dies. Any time we have a conversation about our books or taxes and our CPA's name comes up we look at each other and smile or giggle.

Someday when we are enjoying a drink or something, I will need to clear my guilt and explain it to him. We have a lot of respect for his brilliant skills. In the mean time.... LOL
 
Last edited:
Good one!!! My buddy with his dumb question is building a remote control bird, and succeeding. Give him water and he's like huh?

Non enthusiasts are funny.
Especially when they ask me "is that alive?" Is what alive? The sand, water, corals and rock are all alive. What do you want a birth certificate?

"This rock was born in 20bc on July 99th."
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new