stupid red sea alk test question

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I have a dkh of 12 or 8.. based on which of my test kits I use..

question: the instructions aren't clear with the red sea: is that initial drop to turn the test water blue counted as one of the drops? Or, do you put the drop in to turn, and THEN start counting the drops until color change?

thanks

brad

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you count the lines on the syringe. My Red Sea tester you fill the syringe with 1ml of the orange solution and it starts blue but will turn almost to the drop to green and if you go one or two more drops it turns to yellow to indicate you squirted too much in. I fought with the green to yellow change so much I went out and got a Hannah and never looked back. If you only get 1 Hanna get that one. I still use to Red Sea test to “check” my work sometimes

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I have a dkh of 12 or 8.. based on which of my test kits I use..

question: the instructions aren't clear with the red sea: is that initial drop to turn the test water blue counted as one of the drops? Or, do you put the drop in to turn, and THEN start counting the drops until color change?

thanks

brad

And by the way no such thing as a stupid question. Just an answer you don’t know yet.

OP
OP
T

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a different RS alk test kit-- mine doesn't have the syringe-- just a reagent dropper into 10ml test water

thanks

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are two different RS kits. Pro has the titration tube. Assume you have the pH and alk kit? Use the 10 ml for .5 accuracy. The first drop is the starter or prime. Count the drops to the indicated color. The next drop should show the over-titrated color. Back it down for your result.​

OP
OP
T

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks- so to be clear the prime/1st drop is NOT counted, correct?

appreciate the help

AND.. I ordered the Hanna... I'm just going to keep everything steady until then. Corals seem happy and open.. so I don't want to mess until I confirm that it's too high

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember - regardless how you do it- Do it the same way each time so you have valid trends. There is accuracy error in all these home test kits too. Use the bigger sample to get a closer to accurate reading.

OP
OP
T

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
followup; love the hanna! But.. get this: my API kit is spot on with the Hanna. Red sea is off. Assuming that Hanna is calibrated correctly.

At this point I'm just going to shoot for consistency like pointed out in above post

thanks all

YES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first drop counts if you add 5 ml of aquarium each drop is on dkh and if you do 10 ml of water then it’s .5 dkh I like to do 10ml

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back