Stupid veteran mistake: Overdose and Bleaching

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my alk level and it was a little low so i added some buffer. Recommended dose but i think it spiked and caused one of my birdsnest to bleach. Everything else seems to be okay at this time. Please be carefull when adding supplements and bring your levels up slowly as not to harm your corals. I know better but some times i freak out when levels are down and want them back to normal as soon as possible. Maybe after after this loss i will not make that mistake again. Has anyone else done this before?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made about every mistake in the book!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

zoalover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than once I have added too much chem and end up killing some of my corals. IMO stability is the key...if you need to add anything do it slowly over the course of several days.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back I had to raise my alkalinity and I followed the guidelines and did it over a five day period. Still slightly bleached one of my corals, luckily it has recovered. The recommended maximum daily increases are as follows: Calcium 20 ppm, Alkalinity 0.5 meq/1.4 dkh, Magnesium 10 ppm. I think it should be half that much. Anyway, that's what I do now.

OP
OP
mike007

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back I had to raise my alkalinity and I followed the guidelines and did it over a five day period. Still slightly bleached one of my corals, luckily it has recovered. The recommended maximum daily increases are as follows: Calcium 20 ppm, Alkalinity 0.5 meq/1.4 dkh, Magnesium 10 ppm. I think it should be half that much. Anyway, that's what I do now.
I think you are totaly correct. I have had better luck not adding anything just water changes and nothing else.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my alk level and it was a little low so i added some buffer. Recommended dose but i think it spiked and caused one of my birdsnest to bleach. Everything else seems to be okay at this time. Please be carefull when adding supplements and bring your levels up slowly as not to harm your corals. I know better but some times i freak out when levels are down and want them back to normal as soon as possible. Maybe after after this loss i will not make that mistake again. Has anyone else done this before?

Make a homemade dripper for these occasions! :)

Doesn't take more than a recycled juice bottle and a pin to poke a tiny hole in it. Of course you can get fancy and use airline and an air valve like I did if you wanna.

I've used my 1/2 gallon orange juice contain to dose a full quart of alk without a problem. I diluted the dose with RODI as much as I had room for in the dripper (about another quart) and set the drip to a little slower than normal....that's it.

Great story/lesson - thanks for posting it!

-Matt

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make a homemade dripper for these occasions! :)

Doesn't take more than a recycled juice bottle and a pin to poke a tiny hole in it. Of course you can get fancy and use airline and an air valve like I did if you wanna.

I've used my 1/2 gallon orange juice contain to dose a full quart of alk without a problem. I diluted the dose with RODI as much as I had room for in the dripper (about another quart) and set the drip to a little slower than normal....that's it.

Great story/lesson - thanks for posting it!

-Matt

Sounds cool any photos? Maybe you could start a DIY thread about it? HEHE!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry Mike about the bleaching! We have all been there in some way or another. :(

ddwatson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just done the same thing. The only thing affected seems to be my green slimmer and it is bleaching around the base. I hope is not going to STN.

David

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test anything so I never have that problem. :tea:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back