Submersible pumps and splitting return line

Reflective

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
355
Reaction score
63
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I'm planning out all my new plumbing I decided I really don't want to drill holes in my new sump. So I am going to replace my external pumps with a submersible one.
I currently have two Pan World 50PX-X hooked up to two 1" returns and I redirect a lot of the water back into the sump because they seem to put out way too much flow.
I was thinking about buying only one pump as my return pump but wasn't sure on the flow if I split it. I'm trying to get about 800-1000 gph going through the sump loop. Does it matter if I split it? Will the flow still be the same? Also should I try to go for a bigger outlet on the pump and reduce it to the 1" after the split or will a 1" outlet be okay?
Or I could by 2 smaller pumps, but the outlets are usually 3/4". How much does it affect the GPH when you go from a smaller outlet to a bigger pipe?
 
Last edited:
By splitting it you loose pressure, not output. Saying that, you do loose a little output due to the increases head pressure. (The fact you are pumping water up)
3/4" over 1" would give you higher pressure coming out. Look at the force of the water in your sink vs the bath tub.
If you use two smaller pumps. they take up more space.
If you use two smaller pumps and one fails, then you still have flow.
Depending on head pressure, two smaller pumps may give you more pressure.
If you do not have a lot of head pressure, A larger pump may be better.
 
Also remember 2 pumps is double the heat added to system. I run 1 dc pump for return and split it off feeding 3 reactors without issues. Pump puts out 1320 gph but being a dc pump with a controller I run it at half power to have the flow I want but can ramp up to stir up stuff in rocks for water change.
 
I was going to split it for the two returns and also split it for 2 reactors. It's only going up 5 feet from the sump to the top of the tank. What kind of DC pump do you use? I was looking at the Waveline ones
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new