Submersible return pump in basement

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon DT and I plan on plumbing my sump in the basement right below it. I figure it is about 8 feet from where the pump will be to to top of the tank. Ther will be about 4 45 degree fittings. The return line is 3/4". Would running one inch pipe up to the tank and reducing it at the bulkhead help with flow. Also would a dc pump like the varos2 be sufficient?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There wouldn’t be a benefit running a bigger pipe to the bulkhead. Reef octopus notes that pump is not rated for second floor applications, so it may result in premature failure.

You would want to look at the maximum head height of the pump, and build in a few extra feet for the bends and another foot or two of tolerance. Probably something in the 13’ range or so.

This is a pump some people have chosen for this application, look at the chart that shows the rating at various head heights. Probably the 9.5 or 12.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There wouldn’t be a benefit running a bigger pipe to the bulkhead. Reef octopus notes that pump is not rated for second floor applications, so it may result in premature failure.

You would want to look at the maximum head height of the pump, and build in a few extra feet for the bends and another foot or two of tolerance. Probably something in the 13’ range or so.

This is a pump some people have chosen for this application, look at the chart that shows the rating at various head heights. Probably the 9.5 or 12.

Agree the mag drive is a good choice.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upsizing the return piping will certainly help. Most of the current crop of DC pumps are designed for flow not for pressure. Mag drives are fine, but an older design and neither quiet nor efficient. Might want to check out the Fluval SP6.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Panworld... Iwaki is also good but overpriced IMO.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very limited with submersible pumps with that head pressure. If you use a bulkhead with an external pump there are so many more options. Some given already. The mag pumps will work, but they are energy hogs. The Varios pumps you mention may work, but they are better suited for circulation so there isn’t much data for long term dependability. I’ve been using Reeflo pumps from my basement for well over 15 years.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very limited with submersible pumps with that head pressure. If you use a bulkhead with an external pump there are so many more options. Some given already. The mag pumps will work, but they are energy hogs. The Varios pumps you mention may work, but they are better suited for circulation so there isn’t much data for long term dependability. I’ve been using Reeflo pumps from my basement for well over 15 years.
I ended up using a jabeo dcp13000. Works good

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a dcp 18000, it’s so quiet you don’t even know it’s running. I have a sicce adv 7 on my skimmer and if it’s quiet I can hear it upstairs, may be switching that to a jebao also.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a dcp 18000, it’s so quiet you don’t even know it’s running. I have a sicce adv 7 on my skimmer and if it’s quiet I can hear it upstairs, may be switching that to a jebao also.
What skimmer are you running the Sicce on?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cmp1985 my situation was a bit different in that I make new saltwater in the basement and my DT is on the first floor. My vertical height was around 17’ to the top of the tank and 50‘ horizontal. Combination of 3/4” PVC to which I connect a python.

Long story short I ended up using a Panworld 150PS that ultimately delivers around 3gpm or 180gph to the tank. This is great for filling my tank but way too low for connecting a sump and DT.

My point is don’t underestimate the head loss you’ll experience. I’m guessing you can use a submersible pump but make sure it’s got more head than you think you’ll need.

Screamn56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which is better a external or submersible pump for second floor application?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Varios pumps you mention may work,

Worth noting here that using any of the Varios pumps in a setup that pumps from one floor to another will immediately void the warranty on them. I had a long talk to Jeff at Coralvue about it.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which is better a external or submersible pump for second floor application?
If I had a really good understanding of plumbing a sump, how to control flow, noise wasn’t an issue. etc I‘d seriously consider an external pump. Maintenance and inspection seems easier, and one less thing in the sump. But a submersible pump seems way simpler.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back