substrate? why or why not

  • Thread starter Thread starter Laird
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Laird

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
453
Reaction score
60
Location
utah
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to get started on my first frag tank. I see some people with sand beds and some without. What are the pros and cons of having one vs not having one?
 
i originally had sand in my current tank and decided to go barebottom..so glad i did. every week there are about 3 or 4 places where pockets of detritus builds and it's easy for me to just syphon it out. if i had sand, there would be no way for me to know where it accumulates so that i could get it out. eventually, all that "stuff" would just build up and it would be a nitrate and phosphate nightmare. no more sand for me.
 
The bottom of the tank is clear. What should I put on the bottom? Should I paint it?
 
filtration is key whem it comes to sand or substrate.I know, I know some might not agree with me but I have 300g packed with sps and lps and it helps lots with the filtration and food for different zooplankton and snails + I like the look, and all chalices and favs, etc. my two cents.
 
Substrate = YES = Purdy! :D
 
I personally prefer the look of substrate, and it helps cushion a fall if you should ever drop a coral when moving it in the tank.
 
Yes to sand on bottom. The best way in my 30 years of Reef keeping to keep it clean is to use a food basting tool . If you have a tall tank, it's easy to extend the tube with hard or soft tubing. While your cleaning the sand you can clean the cracks & crevices in your rock just like the storm's do. I do this once a month before the water change.
 
I recently started putting sand in my 40B frag tank. I've got about 1/3 of it covered so far (going slow since I have coral in there).

That side of the tank seems brighter with the sand, compared to the other parts where I just painted the bottom black.

Gives the corals a little extra pop it seems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new