Success in having Sebae hosting clown fish

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing my experience so far in having the clown fish picking Sebae anemone as their host.

I had a RBTA and a Sebae anemone (Heteractis Crispa) and 2 ocellaris clown (one normal, one darwin black) and I've tried pretty much every method I could find online, tube sliding, netting them near the nem, playing videos etc on iPad etc. None of them worked and the clown fish just kept ignoring the nems and preferred the flow nozzles :rolleyes:

And finally I found one approach that worked out well: so I would put the Sebae and the clown fish into a medium breeder box (like this), the smaller box that can fit the nem the better, the goal is to leave little room for the clown to swim freely so they have to touch the nem. Give the fish and the nem a few hours to accommodate to the breeder box, then lift and angle the breeder box slightly above the water so the clown gets to touch the nem. Both the stings from the nem and the squeeze of water space will stress the clown and my theory is that it kicks their natural instinct to seek refuge in the anemone. After a couple of tries, the clown will start to host it and became inseparable :) I’ve so far had success on 3/3 ocellaris clowns.

(now the irony is, I'm facing the other side of the problem: these clowns kept stealing food from the Sebae, who's recovering from being bleached so I have to separate the clowns from the nem for now until it can get enough nutrition without feeding)

OP
OP
marcwjj

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a photo.
PXL_20201104_202221161.MP.jpg

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done, by any chance did the nem get bleached from the stress of the pairing?

OP
OP
marcwjj

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is totally possible. It was having a yellowish tan when it arrived but a few days after I moved it from the breeder box to the display tank, it gradually lost its stickiness and were on a downhill slope : became all white, its purple tips all faded and have been shrinking to the edge of death.

I would also blame myself for moving the nem a couple of times in an attempt to locate it to an 'ideal' location which probably damaged or stressed its foot even further.

For the last month or so, I've separated the clowns and feeding the sebae daily with raw shrimp / squid / clam and it's definitely getting healthier, the tentacles are fluffing up and it has recently start moving to a place with stronger current. The clowns have went back to it since last week - so far so good, except that the clowns are still stealing food from the mouth of sebae :( so I needed to put a small lid after feeding.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 64 26.9%
Back