Sucessfull treatment of a wall torch with chloramphenicol.

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

An indo wall torch(~4 months home from LFS) began to show signs of distress in about half its polyps(poor inflation, failure to accept food, open mouth) which progressed within a few days to marching tissue loss yielding a brown jelly like substance that stripped clean with gentle siphoning to reveal white skeleton. In less than a week, about 1/3 the coral was gone. Whether this was actually the highly contagious "BJD" or some other infection that manifests in a similar way I don't know. I did not check the jelly under a microscope. No other corals were affected even though a significant amount of jelly was released into the tank by foolish actions.

After doing a great deal of research, and overcoming the disappointment that the general consensus seems to be that this syndrome generally leads to total loss of the wall, I decided to try chloramphenicol.

I found descriptions of treatment protocols scarce. A paragraph in the text “Invertebrate Medicine” by Borneman (2001)[1] was the most authoritative source of info I could find. Taking a shot in the dark I began treatment in a hospital tank with 33 ug / mL chloramphenicol (this is the same concentration it is generally used as a selective agent in molecular biology). Within 5 hours all the white tissue at the base of the coral peeled off and large chunks of polyps began to bail out; I was sure I had killed it and after 2 x 1 hr washes in antibiotic free tank water, returned it to the DT.

The coral continued to decline for several days after being returned to the DT. Every morning a small amount of tissue was found to have necrosed and the jelly was siphoned out.

I had a long weekend coming up and would not be around to siphon the jelly out, and I had already given up on this coral pretty much, so I decided to set up a 5 gal / 20L hospital bucket with only 4.5 ug /mL chloramphenicol and hope for the best. I also dug deep into empty coralites with precision tweezers to remove rotten tissue buried deep inside, I was aggressive and probably removed some healthy tissue as well; a euphyllia root canal if you will. On the way out the door my wife tripped over the cord for the hospital tank light, dunking it and ensuring the torch would be in the dark for the entire weekend.

Three days later when I came home no additional tissue loss was observed, the coral was moved to the DT after washing and has lost not one polyp in the last two weeks. Today for the first time it accepted food! I am cautiously optimistic. ~1/3 of the original tissue remains.

I can’t draw any conclusions from my uncontrolled wild ride experiment in chloramphenicol treatment, but given the paucity of information out there about this powerful drug I thought it best that I report my experience to the community.

I can’t be sure whether it was the lack of light or the reduced yet still clearly effective concentration of chloramphenicol that let the coral survive 3 days of treatment with a drug that had almost killed it in an afternoon. Perhaps chloramphenicol is best administered in the dark, as it is known to disrupt cell membrane function in protists[2], which can’t be good for photosynthesis, or maybe I simply found a concentration that lies within chloramphenicol's relatively narrow therapeutic window.

I hope my experience can help someone else save some coral.

[1]Borneman (2001) :
https://books.google.com/books?id=r...age&q=Borneman (2001) chloramphenicol&f=false
[2]Membrane action of chloramphenicol measured by protozoan motility inhibition.Arch Toxicol. 1996;70(12):850-3.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the awesome write up.
During this treatment you had any flow or oxygen exchange in your hospital bucket?
Can you share maybe a before or after pic?

OP
OP
D

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the awesome write up.
During this treatment you had any flow or oxygen exchange in your hospital bucket?
Can you share maybe a before or after pic?

Hospital bucket was comprised of 5 gal of DT water, a heater, and an air stone. The air flow was regulated by an in line valve to produce moderate, but not violent, circulation of the bucket water.

Here is a pic on the 4th of July, a few weeks before the trouble began.

At this time I had noticed that the polyps on the left side of the coral seemed to exhibit less extension, were thinner, and even looked slightly bleached relative to the rest of the colony. This is the side where necrosis eventually began. It makes me wonder how long he was rotting on the inside before he started to melt, and if early detection and treatment could have saved more of his polyps.

Ill grab some pics tomorrow of his current state.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice report!
4.5 ug /mL chloramphenicol and hope,.... in the dark, any more information on ambient temperature in the bucket?

(When I read "tripped over the light" I thought the light went into the bucket and the resulting electroshock therapy was the ticket. :) )

OP
OP
D

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice report!
4.5 ug /mL chloramphenicol and hope,.... in the dark, any more information on ambient temperature in the bucket?

(When I read "tripped over the light" I thought the light went into the bucket and the resulting electroshock therapy was the ticket. :) )

Fortunately it was a 12V cheapo light, so there was no danger to us or the coral.

Heater was set so that my NIST standard calibrated thermometer read 79F, one degree below the DT temp.

OP
OP
D

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is this morning, basking and looking remarkably good.

post_illness.jpg

Last edited:

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole should be safer on the photobionts but it is only able to kill bacteria that dont use oxygen as it needs to be reduced by the bacterium to kill it

OP
OP
D

Durandal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole should be safer on the photobionts but it is only able to kill bacteria that dont use oxygen as it needs to be reduced by the bacterium to kill it

Metronidazole is a great drug, but lacks the broad spectrum of activity desired for empirical therapy. Next time I might try a fluoroquinolone derivative as they have a broad range of action with significantly less toxicity. Unfortunately the fluoroquinolones are somewhat toxic to both mitochondria and chloroplasts via inhibition of their topoisomerases.

The best drugs for this kind of use would be:

1.broad spectrum(so there is no need to culture and evaluate susceptibility of the causative organism
2. bacteriacidal (for rapid action compared to bacteriostatics)
3. have no toxic effect on eukaryotes, chloroplasts, mitochondria, or zooxanthellae
4. not be an important drug in the treatment of human disease.

Unfortunately I think that the only drugs that meet the first three requirements(such as recent generation penicillins/carbpenims/cephalosporins) fail to meet the fourth.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be interested to hear about them.

It seems like Cipro has found use in the treatment of sick anemones. I wonder if it is of any use against BJD....

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back