Suction Cup Blues

Bagelfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume I'm not the first to have this problem, but every time I do maintenance on my mixed reef tank, I re-stick the suction cups for the heater, intake tubes and power heads where they belong. Within 2-3 days, the little buggers have started to release their grasp on the glass. Very annoying, to say the least :( Any ideas on keeping them stuck? I have tried cleaning the glass with a brush and scrubby pad, which usually gets me one extra day. Any tips my fellow phishophiles might contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You aren't alone with this issue. I usually just replace mine.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Suction cups in saltwater will always fail.
That's why most powerheads today are made with magnet mounts.

GillsGoneWild

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that suction cups can be rejuvenated by putting them in boiling water for several minutes. It seems to return them to their "factory-new" shape and they hold to the glass better.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that answer, well at least for me.

666c226b14b0cffa2de727162b0b7cd7.jpg

ec845b04db128131a8bd8083c2e2c12a.jpg

Keeps the thermostats out of the water!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Saltwater hardens the rubber making them loose suction. The ones on my new Marineland power-filter are doing great. Don't know why.:)

Walts O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy magnets especially made for aquarium equipment I forget the name of them I'm currently using them for my heaters work great

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rely on suction cups holding anything.....and I like some of the solutions mentioned here....brilliant!

That being said, any and all rubber parts that I have get a thin film of non-petroleum based lubricant. The best bang for the buck is Leslie's Pool Lube. This will help, but might not be a 100% fix.

IMG_1233.jpg

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great idea!! I would love to see it all plumbed if you have time. Maybe in a separate thread called something like overhead plumbing.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great idea!! I would love to see it all plumbed if you have time. Maybe in a separate thread called something like overhead plumbing.

Simple enough. I'll look into. I have to clean my heaters soon and when I do, I'll pull the hanger out and take pictures of it and explain what it takes to build one. Thanks!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most aquarium suppliers are moving to magnetic mounts... at least on things where the price justifies the added expense. AFAIC, the more the better. I _hate_ suction cups.

On a heater? I don't even try. Just lay it in a corner of the sump. I like the titanium ones with the plastic guards around them.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most aquarium suppliers are moving to magnetic mounts... at least on things where the price justifies the added expense. AFAIC, the more the better. I _hate_ suction cups.

On a heater? I don't even try. Just lay it in a corner of the sump. I like the titanium ones with the plastic guards around them.

I truly hear what your saying. My OCD or straight paranoia, maybe both, lol, made me build the hanger. With stories of heaters exploding and shorting out made me over analyze them. Water intrusion kept running through my brain! I thought that if I kept the thermostats out of the water, their seals would last longer. This of course wouldn't stop one from sticking on or off. Running lower wattage heaters and multiples to lessen the effects of one failing and cooking the tank, plus running them on my ranco for extra back up, helps me sleep better at night.

Anyway, that's what made me do it and over thinking is what my wife says I do best! Lol!

Back