Sudden Algae Growth

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So I have a few questions actually.. I just got my first soft corals on the 23rd of December, and at that time there was basically no algae present, since then it is very noticeable (I assume this is normal and healthy for a newer tank) I’m just wonder if putting in the corals triggered it. (video attached below) Second question is how many snails should I get for my CUC? (40 gallon tank) and third, my green star polyps open up everyday and seems healthy but my zoanthids and whatever coral is at the front have yet to open except on the first day, I’m just wondering if anyone may have some insight on that. current parameters are below:
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 8.5 dKH (used hanna tester)
pH: 8.2
Ammonia & Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.20PPM (used hanna tester)
Calcium: 390PPM
Phosphate: 0.68PPM (used hanna ULR tester)
Magnesium: 1400 mg/l

Thanks in advance and happy new year!
-Elias

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So I have a few questions actually.. I just got my first soft corals on the 23rd of December, and at that time there was basically no algae present, since then it is very noticeable (I assume this is normal and healthy for a newer tank) I’m just wonder if putting in the corals triggered it. (video attached below) Second question is how many snails should I get for my CUC? (40 gallon tank) and third, my green star polyps open up everyday and seems healthy but my zoanthids and whatever coral is at the front have yet to open except on the first day, I’m just wondering if anyone may have some insight on that. current parameters are below:
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: 8.5 dKH (used hanna tester)
pH: 8.2
Ammonia & Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.20PPM (used hanna tester)
Calcium: 390PPM
Phosphate: 0.68PPM (used hanna ULR tester)
Magnesium: 1400 mg/l

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Hello Elias and welcome to the forum.

This sounds like a new tank. Algae will develop when nutrients are introduced to the tank under lighted conditions.

How old is your tank?

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Elias and welcome to the forum.

This sounds like a new tank. Algae will develop when nutrients are introduced to the tank under lighted conditions.

How old is your tank?
3 months, added the coral almost 2 weeks ago. How many snails should I add to a 49 gallon?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months, added the coral almost 2 weeks ago. How many snails should I add to a 49 gallon?

Well... I don't know that there is a hard and fast rule as to the number of snails a tank of a specific size should have. And if you want to rely solely on the cleanup crew to clean up algae, you may be disappointed.

But where algae control is concerned, you need more than a cleanup crew.

Nutrient export from the tank via water changes is an effective way to keep nutrients in check.

A faithful, weekly, 20% water change is all you will need on a tank that size to enjoy a clean, aesthetically pleasing, thriving tank.

Now that you've introduced corals to the tank, it is important to replenish elements in the water consumed by the corals. Salt mixes will include the elements that get consumed by coral, such as Calcium and Alkalinity.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your po4 is extremely high, what foods are you adding, we tend to aim for a range of 0.03 - 0.1, yours is more than 6x the max people tend to aim for, and with it being a new tank, it’s especially high, as it has not had time to build up, most likely its you adding the po4 some way, bad water, or food or your po4 test results are wrong, could also be coming out of new rock.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many snails should I add to a 49 gallon?
1-2 snails per 5 gallons 1-2 hermits per 10 gallons. I normally get a cleanup crew from reef cleaners once a year.

I have heard good things about saltwater com's crews. Maybe start with the 25 gallon crew. If you don't want hermits, you can always piece together your own.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your po4 is extremely high, what foods are you adding, we tend to aim for a range of 0.03 - 0.1, yours is more than 6x the max people tend to aim for, and with it being a new tank, it’s especially high, as it has not had time to build up, most likely its you adding the po4 some way, bad water, or food or your po4 test results are wrong, could also be coming out of new rock.
I feed spirulina brine shrimp 2-3x/day. And I thought the same thing I know it’s way too high I just can’t seem to figure out why…

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed spirulina brine shrimp 2-3x/day. And I thought the same thing I know it’s way too high I just can’t seem to figure out why…
Probably not food then, unless you also feed coral food.

My guess would be rocks or your rodi water.

If water, it needs fixing if rocks, probably not an option to change them, so you will need to lower your po4 With rowaphos or similar.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back