Sudden increase in PO4 Need Advice

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all and @Randy Holmes-Farley

I was doing my normal testing today on my Acropora reef. Tested PO4 and it was 0.06.

My Magnesium was a bit below what I like it to be at, so I decided to dose my mix that made from mags pure form.

Here's the problem, I had my mind on something that I shouldn't have, and I dosed 100ml of what I thought was Magnesium. It was a very weak mix and would have brought the mag up about 40 points.

Well, it wasn't magnesium, it wasy PO4 mix..... So normally 6ml of that raises my phosphates about 0.05. I dosed 100ml......

I immediately recognized it when I did it and shut the return off within a couple of minutes. I then changed 20 gallons of water, it's a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 G2, about 70 gallon display and 85 or 90 gallon total in the system.

5 hours after the water change, I just tested again and I'm at 0.51 Phosphate.

I'm getting ready to run some Rowaphos in a reactor to start removing the extra. My immediate question is how will this affect the Acropora and fish? Will that large of a jump in Phosphates hurt anything?

I don't think it matters but here are the other parameters :

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 15.0
Alk 8.4
Calcium 480
Magnesium 1340
Temp 79
PH 8.2
ORP 311

Appreciate your time and input.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a formula for a bad day.

Im going out on a limb and guess that you will not kill any corals from P poisoning but you may have a lot of growth in your algae. Are you growing weed in the sump or algae in a scrubber? Those things will take off if you are.

Hope tomorrow is a better day.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s a formula for a bad day.

Im going out on a limb and guess that you will not kill any corals from P poisoning but you may have a lot of growth in your algae. Are you growing weed in the sump or algae in a scrubber? Those things will take off if you are.

Hope tomorrow is a better day.
Yep, been a long day and not over yet.

Nah, no algae growing in sump or elsewhere. I'm hoping I can get it down rather quickly without any problems.

Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, quick update, and I really am a bit shocked.

I don't clean my back wall as the Tang and Foxface are always picking at it. I leave it for them to munch on and it's never more than a light coating of algae.

Today at 5:00 Eastern, it's noticeably thicker algae :)

I tested late last night as I posted above, and it was reading 0.51 on the Hanna Phosphate ULR meter. I loaded my small Carbon/GFO reactor last night with half BRS carbon and half Rowaphos. Checked PO4 at 5:00 and it's down to 0.11 which fine with. I usually run 0.03 to 0.08, but I think 0.11 is a good range for now.

I had no idea that Rowaphos and the mini BRS reactor would have that kind of effect. I was having a mild panic attack when I dosed that . Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. With quick thinking it seemed to help with the 20 gallon water change, a 10ml dose of Red Sea NOPOX, and the Rowaphos.

Appreciate your input again @KrisReef .

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't clean my back wall as the Tang and Foxface are always picking at it. I leave it for them to munch on and it's never more than a light coating of algae.

I tested late last night as I posted above, and it was reading 0.51 on the Hanna Phosphate ULR meter. I loaded my small Carbon/GFO reactor last night with half BRS carbon and half Rowaphos. Checked PO4 at 5:00 and it's down to 0.11 which fine with. I usually run 0.03 to 0.08, but I think 0.11 is a good range for now.

I had no idea that Rowaphos and the mini BRS reactor would have that kind of effect. I was having a mild panic attack when I dosed that . Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. With quick thinking it seemed to help with the 20 gallon water change, a 10ml dose of Red Sea NOPOX, and the Rowaphos.

Yes well that's actually not a lot of phospohate to add, you would be surprised at just how much phosphate is added to a tank on a daily basis simply from feeding fish.

As you've noticed, in a healthy tank, Algae will soak that up in no time if there is no other limiting nutrient.

Your day was not a bad as you thought :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just checking, you took the reactor off line already? Don't want the tank to hit zero on the rebound!.
Glad things are moving back towards normal.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just checking, you took the reactor off line already? Don't want the tank to hit zero on the rebound!.
Glad things are moving back towards normal.
Hey there, yes I took it offline. Rowaphos will tank your phosphates VERY fast. The reactor works much better than anticipated too :).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back