Suggestions for better hard coral success

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much operated as fish only with a few anemones and soft corals with not too much trouble. Haven't had much luck though with anything else I think mostly because I haven't had very good lights. I just bought a 180 gallon that comes with much better lights so wanting to try some euphyllia again and maybe some acros. I know I need to lower my phosphates, but wondering what else I can do to have better success? I do not dose anything. My ph is perfect 8.3 from my water source and alk has been good, ph is always stable. I operate with a sump, skimmer, good flow, and a refugium. Calcium has been on the low end and magnesium fair. What would be some things to do first that will make the most difference other than the lights? Was thinking kalk drip or reactor might be a good start.
Stability

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drip dosed kalkwasser years ago. Wondering if a calcium reactor is a better?
Used to dose Red Sea's product. as tank gets more mature get a calcium reactor...tank will be more stable...but it's initial start up coast may vary. When I made the change I figure it only to 3 to 5 months to recoup my cost for switch to calcium reactor. Also buy or rent par meter to measure light parameters And ICP test to measure trace elements for corals benefit. How often depends on your system.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure from reading this thread you have stability, lol.

I will recommend you get all your parameters in order.
Many people are getting away from the brand names products and buying other quality ingredients we know the purity of. For example, food grade calcium chloride.
Safe for people=safe for fish and way cheaper.

Do keep an eye on those known coral nipers.

Once everything is in order try an easy sps.

moorea reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much operated as fish only with a few anemones and soft corals with not too much trouble. Haven't had much luck though with anything else I think mostly because I haven't had very good lights. I just bought a 180 gallon that comes with much better lights so wanting to try some euphyllia again and maybe some acros. I know I need to lower my phosphates, but wondering what else I can do to have better success? I do not dose anything. My ph is perfect 8.3 from my water source and alk has been good, ph is always stable. I operate with a sump, skimmer, good flow, and a refugium. Calcium has been on the low end and magnesium fair. What would be some things to do first that will make the most difference other than the lights? Was thinking kalk drip or reactor might be a good start.
dose with all for reef. add a Red Sea roller mat filter to your sump, keep the refugium, upgrade refugium light if your not using a plant growing light! do this and you can grow any coral

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose with all for reef. add a Red Sea roller mat filter to your sump, keep the refugium, upgrade refugium light if your not using a plant growing light! do this and you can grow any coral
My tap has high ph but I am getting a ro/di . Noticed kalkwasser can't be used with high ph. Looks like all for reef won't spike my ph. Thanks

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I need to lower my phosphates, but wondering what else I can do to have better success?
Maybe the first step for less success. If the phosphate concentration is below 0.3 ppm I don't recommend to lower it.

Most reefers overestimate the problems caused by elevated phosphate concentrations and underestimate the needs of hard corals for phosphate. So frequently lowering phosphate concentration is the first step to failure.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the first step for less success. If the phosphate concentration is below 0.3 ppm I don't recommend to lower it.

Most reefers overestimate the problems caused by elevated phosphate concentrations and underestimate the needs of hard corals for phosphate. So frequently lowering phosphate concentration is the first step to failure.
It is true that one can keep high nutrients and coral can thrive just as well as in lower nutrient environments.

But the same can also be said for salinity, Alkalinity and other parameters as well.

Salinity in the Red Sea for example is 40ppt, however, we tend to keep salinity in the hobby at around 35ppt for a reason, even though it could’ve have been any other (reasonable) level - just to make a standard between reefers so that coral acclimation would be easier when transferring corals from one system to another, but also to be able to “spotlight” any issues when trying to compare between systems.

so I’d argue that while a system can thrive in various different parameter levels - targeting the “acceptable” range that most other reefers keep can make a positive difference nevertheless.

P.S: If you are who I think you are - thank you for your huge contribution to the hobby :)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that one can keep high nutrients and coral can thrive just as well as in lower nutrient environments.

But the same can also be said for salinity, Alkalinity and other parameters as well.

Salinity in the Red Sea for example is 40ppt, however, we tend to keep salinity in the hobby at around 35ppt for a reason, even though it could’ve have been any other (reasonable) level - just to make a standard between reefers so that coral acclimation would be easier when transferring corals from one system to another, but also to be able to “spotlight” any issues when trying to compare between systems.

so I’d argue that while a system can thrive in various different parameter levels - targeting the “acceptable” range that most other reefers keep can make a positive difference nevertheless.

P.S: If you are who I think you are - thank you for your huge contribution to the hobby :)
Yes, but most reefers do too much to keep phosphate low and try to keep it at 0.00 to 0.03 ppm. This is really low and may be too low especially for Acropora and other SPS that may grow fast.

0.03 to 0.1 ppm is good, but to 0.3 it is still ok. I also have started with keeping low phosphate concentrations in the 90s and I have spent years of experimentation with varying nutrient dosages, nutrient ratios and nutrient concentrations. This was my main field of research besides trace elements (=micronutrients).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back