i dont get it☹️

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need help/suggestions, i dose afr, i have two flow pumps their both at about 250 gph, my light is a flex 30 leds, the guy said level 3 should be good for anything i want to grow, my magnesium is 1400, my calcium at 420, my alk is at 8, ph at 8.3, my phosphate at .005, my nitrate at 15ppm, my salinities at 1.026, yet things are loosing color, and i cant keep euphillia alive for the life of me my acans, birdsnest, and scoly, and candycane do fine, my “hammer” not so much, zoas, not so much, any suggestions would help

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is this your light?

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your light?
yep thats my light

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a lighting issue. Also, are you measuring phosphate in ppb or ppm? .005 is extremely low if you're measuring in ppm.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow i had no clue, would my number reallt put things out of wack that hard?
It's more likely inadequate lighting but really low nutrients will exacerbate the symptoms. Corals need food and if both the light is inadequate to promote a healthy zooxanthellae population and nutrients like nitrate or phosphate (which are needed) are depleted, the coral will slowly starve.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more likely inadequate lighting but really low nutrients will exacerbate the symptoms. Corals need food and if both the light is inadequate to promote a healthy zooxanthellae population and nutrients like nitrate or phosphate (which are needed) are depleted, the coral will slowly starve.
ah okay, i know my nitrate is fine, ill work on phosphate, i originally turned the lights down because things were bleaching

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do feed often i feed reefroids 3x weekly

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The 30 watts max output should be ok for a small tank. I’m wondering if it’s too much? Usually corals won’t bleach out under too little light. The fact that your birdsnest is doing good on the sand bed makes me think you can turn your light down and move the birds nest up on the rocks and torches, hammers and acans to the lower parts. That low phosphate is also not good, your corals are starving. I had the low phosphate issue when I first got my system up and running. I had to dose neophos and neonitro. I still run low nutrient but I maintain at minimum .03ppm phos and 5ppm nitrates. My corals seem to enjoy it. This just my $.02, I’m far from an expert though.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30 watts max output should be ok for a small tank. I’m wondering if it’s too much? Usually corals won’t bleach out under too little light. The fact that your birdsnest is doing good on the sand bed makes me think you can turn your light down and move the birds nest up on the rocks and torches, hammers and acans to the lower parts. That low phosphate is also not good, your corals are starving. I had the low phosphate issue when I first got my system up and running. I had to dose neophos and neonitro. I still run low nutrient but I maintain at minimum .03ppm phos and 5ppm nitrates. My corals seem to enjoy it. This just my $.02
the guy who sold me it said its alot of power, it was 150$, the birdsnest is browning alittle but still has polyp extension, maybe i can try and raise my light higher but turn it up more so its brighter, because its so dark at a low setting. ill start tryna up my phosphates, my nitrates are usually okay so if i up my phosphate will it mess with nitrate? i also thought maybe im killing my euphillia with too much flow, but they all seem fine atifrst, maybe blowing too hard then slowly shrink and die

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As long as your alk, mag and cal are in check, which they are, you should be ok to bring your phos up a bit. The most important thing in this hobby is stability. Make small changes gradually. As long as minimum nutrients are there, chasing numbers and constant fiddling with things will stress your corals also. Bring up your phos over a couple days and adjust your light and give it a little time. @livinlifeinBKK may be right, not enough light. Like I said, I’m no expert on lights. I tend to go over kill and turn them down as needed. Also, bleaching does not mean dead. As long as there’s flesh and not algae growing on the skeletons it can recover. It’s just stressed

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30 watts max output should be ok for a small tank. I’m wondering if it’s too much? Usually corals won’t bleach out under too little light. The fact that your birdsnest is doing good on the sand bed makes me think you can turn your light down and move the birds nest up on the rocks and torches, hammers and acans to the lower parts. That low phosphate is also not good, your corals are starving. I had the low phosphate issue when I first got my system up and running. I had to dose neophos and neonitro. I still run low nutrient but I maintain at minimum .03ppm phos and 5ppm nitrates. My corals seem to enjoy it. This just my $.02, I’m far from an expert though.
I didn't see the tank size mentioned (I must have overlooked it) but I agree that although it's possible for corals to bleach with too little light, it more frequently occurs with excessive lighting. @MrMaTTpaT did you use all dry rock? That could help explain your difficulty in maintaining phosphate. From my understanding, dry rocks initially absorb phosphate.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't see the tank size mentioned (I must have overlooked it) but I agree that although it's possible for corals to bleach with too little light, it more frequently occurs with excessive lighting. @MrMaTTpaT did you use all dry rock? That could help explain your difficulty in maintaining phosphate. From my understanding, dry rocks initially absorb phosphate.
I’m 10 months into my tank and it still soaks up the phos. Especially the aragonite sand bed.

OP
OP
MrMaTTpaT

MrMaTTpaT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your alk, mag and cal are in check, which they are, you should be ok to bring your phos up a bit. The most important thing in this hobby is stability. Make small changes gradually. As long as minimum nutrients are there, chasing numbers and constant fiddling with things will stress your corals also. Bring up your phos over a couple days and adjust your light and give it a little time. @livinlifeinBKK may be right, not enough light. Like I said, I’m no expert on lights. I tend to go over kill and turn them down as needed. Also, bleaching does not mean dead. As long as there’s flesh and not algae growing on the skeletons it can recover. It’s just stressed
do i need white light ?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i need white light ?
Blue is the most efficient form of light for corals, which is why so many reefs you see are washed in that dang blue haze. However many LED lamps consist of not just blue LEDs. In your case, 3 of your 12 LEDs are white light LEDs, meaning that your lamp is currently using 75% of its capability on the corals. Setting your lamp to use all of its LEDs will be technically more light for the corals.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back