Looking for help/advise on cycling my tank. Did I ruin it or just need more patience.

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g tank that I've been cycling and relized that I put in too much ammonia to start the cycling process (I was stupid and forgot to account for the displacement from the rocks). It's been cycling for about 1.5 months and went to my LFS Thursday to test my water and it was 0 ammonia and .25ppm nitrites but last night I tested the nitrates and it increased to about 2ppm. The only thing I've been doing to my tank was adding some Seed bacteria and doing 10% water change every other week (at the suggestion of my LFS). I

Is it possible that I've ruined the cycling process by adding too much ammonia at the start and should start all over or is it one of those tanks that just takes forever to cycle?

Stats on my tank:
Size: 15g Innovated Marine aio
Filter: Tank floss and ceramic media
Rock: 5lbs of the purple rock
Substrate: CaribSea crushed coral
Fish/coral: None
Light: has been off the whole time

3.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think you messed it up? A normal cycle can take a month and a half, usually longer! You can make it go faster by adding live rock. The "purple rock", doesn't help the cycling process, its almost the same as dry rock. What was the max ammonia level in your tank, or did you not test for it?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g tank that I've been cycling and relized that I put in too much ammonia to start the cycling process (I was stupid and forgot to account for the displacement from the rocks). It's been cycling for about 1.5 months and went to my LFS Thursday to test my water and it was 0 ammonia and .25ppm nitrites but last night I tested the nitrates and it increased to about 2ppm. The only thing I've been doing to my tank was adding some Seed bacteria and doing 10% water change every other week (at the suggestion of my LFS). I
You mention testing NitrITES at 0.25ppm on Thursday but then nitrATES at 2ppm yesterday - was that a typo or did you really mean 2 different tests?

The nitrAtes will continue to rise when the tank is cycled, that's the expected end product (ammonia -> nitrIte -> nitrAte).
NitrItes may also keep rising, as they're converted from ammonia, so it also isn't something to be worried about.

As long as your ammonia level is 0 (you could test that your tank can process 2ppm to 0ppm within 24 hours to be sure), you should be good to go :) Go slowly as you add livestock and keep an eye on your parameters at first!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in reef aquaria and don't need testing. If you added ammonia and then subsequently added nitrifying bacteria then your tank will begin to cycle with sufficient hardscape for the bacteria to multiply. You can test your cycle by adding ammonia and 24 hours later it should be 0 with measurable nitrates production. Once you aee this do a 25 to 50% water change and then get your first fish after you verify all parameters including salinity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it possible that I've ruined the cycling process by adding too much ammonia at the start and should start all over or is it one of those tanks that just takes forever to cycle?

Stats on my tank:
Size: 15g Innovated Marine aio
Filter: Tank floss and ceramic media
Rock: 5lbs of the purple rock
Substrate: CaribSea crushed coral
Fish/coral: None
Light: has been off the whole time

3.jpg
Welcome to reef2reef. Looks like it's ready for the next step. Nitrite is not harmful and messes with the nitrate test. Ammonia needs to get really high before it slows things, above 8 to 10ppm from memory. Even then it's not ruined, it's just that bacterial species change at this level and need time to ramp up growth which looks like a stall.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always, it's just that nobody makes "work threads" to record them.
Of course other tank factors can delay it if your initial set up is off but with the instant cycle in a bottle now the vast majority of start up cycling happens in 2 weeks or less. The problem most new reefers have is they don't do enough research and educate themselves prior to starting the tank. Then things are off and they have issues with the initial cycle process.

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think you messed it up? A normal cycle can take a month and a half, usually longer! You can make it go faster by adding live rock. The "purple rock", doesn't help the cycling process, its almost the same as dry rock. What was the max ammonia level in your tank, or did you not test for it?
So sorry for the late reply! I dosed for a 15 gallon tank when it's probably like 10 or 12 gallons with the displacement from the rocks. I didn't measure how much water I put in when I started it out (another rookie mistake). I didn't know that about the purple rock (life rock I think it's called?) my LFG said it was like live rock but was man made, either way it's not a big deal since I kinda dig the purple color.

I ultimatly thought I ruined it because I over dosed on ammonia, I've been reading diferent posts on how long their cycle took and they just seems to go through it so much faster (I know milage may vary but haven't seen anything taking more than a month.

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. Looks like it's ready for the next step. Nitrite is not harmful and messes with the nitrate test. Ammonia needs to get really high before it slows things, above 8 to 10ppm from memory. Even then it's not ruined, it's just that bacterial species change at this level and need time to ramp up growth which looks like a stall.
Thank you for the welcome! I don't think my ammonia got that high but do you suggest me putting a tiny ounce of ammonia to see if it cycles in a day? I tested the Nitrites today and it's still about 2ppm, I'm thinking about getting a few hermits and snails to see how they do and start a cleaning crew (after the ammonia test completes itsself)

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention testing NitrITES at 0.25ppm on Thursday but then nitrATES at 2ppm yesterday - was that a typo or did you really mean 2 different tests?

The nitrAtes will continue to rise when the tank is cycled, that's the expected end product (ammonia -> nitrIte -> nitrAte).
NitrItes may also keep rising, as they're converted from ammonia, so it also isn't something to be worried about.

As long as your ammonia level is 0 (you could test that your tank can process 2ppm to 0ppm within 24 hours to be sure), you should be good to go :) Go slowly as you add livestock and keep an eye on your parameters at first!
yeah sorry the nitrites were .25 then jumped to 2ppm a few days later. I just tested it today and it's still around 2ppm so no visible change but no ammonia which is good. I'm thinking about adding some hermit crabs and snails, maybe a shrimp or two to see how they do?

also stupid question, how to I measure 2ppm of ammonia? I want to test it before I put anything in but I don't want to put too much in. After the ammonia test I'm thinking about hermit crabs, snails, and maybe a shrimp or two?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the late reply! I dosed for a 15 gallon tank when it's probably like 10 or 12 gallons with the displacement from the rocks. I didn't measure how much water I put in when I started it out (another rookie mistake). I didn't know that about the purple rock (life rock I think it's called?) my LFG said it was like live rock but was man made, either way it's not a big deal since I kinda dig the purple color.

I ultimatly thought I ruined it because I over dosed on ammonia, I've been reading diferent posts on how long their cycle took and they just seems to go through it so much faster (I know milage may vary but haven't seen anything taking more than a month.
How did you buy the live rock? Was it on a shelf, or did you get it from water?

My LFS sold me the purple rock that's on a shelf, and the only thing it does is add purple to your tank.

If that's what you got, I would recommend getting a small piece of real live rock, you can get it from a friends established tank, but, maybe you have another place you can go to. You can also buy rubble from TBS, but I believe you get around 20 pounds of it, so you will probably have way to much. I will link it down below, in case your interested. t's not to expensive. If you get this, be prepared. You are going to find little animals everywhere lol. I know someone who got a mantis shrimp and an octopus from this.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traditional cycle takes about 4 weeks. Your ammonia was processed and nitrites are present. You are safe to start stocking slowly.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sorry the nitrites were .25 then jumped to 2ppm a few days later. I just tested it today and it's still around 2ppm so no visible change but no ammonia which is good. I'm thinking about adding some hermit crabs and snails, maybe a shrimp or two to see how they do?

also stupid question, how to I measure 2ppm of ammonia? I want to test it before I put anything in but I don't want to put too much in. After the ammonia test I'm thinking about hermit crabs, snails, and maybe a shrimp or two?
You could put half as much in as last time, then test it with your kit, if you wanted. It doesn't have to be exactly 2ppm processed in a day, just more than enough processed in a day. With a couple of fish and some clean up crew, I'd be surprised if they produced more than 0.5 ppm ammonia per day, to be honest. Happy reefing.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add more ammonia if you had it and it’s 0 now you’re just adding nitrates at this point. You’ve been cycled enough for first inhabitants as soon as ammonia went to 0. Do a waterchange when your nitrates start to get around 15 or so. Remember that nitrites can effect nitrate readings though so when nitrites go to 0 you can get a accurate nitrate reading.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the minority here but I do not own an ammonia or nitrite test kit. I cycle with household ammonia with no additives in it. It's a carry over from my freshwater days. Once I see nitrate present I call it cycled and slowly start adding live stock. It takes time for the tank to mature and be able to process waste. My last cycle I did dry rock barebottom and used bottled bacteria. This was an experiment for me because I had never used bottled bacteria and wanted to see what all the hype was about. I used fritz turbo start 900. I must say I was impressed. I started adding coral at week 2 and first fish in at week 3. I think too many new hobbiest get excited and add too many fish too soon which results in all the why are my fish dying posts.

OP
OP
F

FlyingJenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put half as much in as last time, then test it with your kit, if you wanted. It doesn't have to be exactly 2ppm processed in a day, just more than enough processed in a day. With a couple of fish and some clean up crew, I'd be surprised if they produced more than 0.5 ppm ammonia per day, to be honest. Happy reefing.
I did 1ppm last night and it's already down to .25 ppm so I think I have enough healthy bacteria. Going to wait until it's 0 and see where the nitrites are at maybe to a water change and then probably add a cleaning crew and see how they do?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can add ammonia, and within a day or so the ammonia is gone, your tank is cycled. Nitrites don't matter. Home tests kits (and the tests they are likely using at the LFS are not accurate enough to worry about .25ppm anything. You should read that as zero.

No tank takes forever to cycle, that is a myth. What happens is a lot of misunderstanding about the nitrogen cycle and a lot of meaningless pearl clutching about nitrites. Your tank is cycled.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back