Suggestions for new my 34g reef

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some suggestions for some designer clowns and some kind of cleaner fish. This would be a very simple pick except I have no lid on my tank and I am afraid of fish jumping out. I would like some kind of wrasse but ik a lot will jump out. Are there any that won’t?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I genuinely thought clowns didn't jump until mine did after ~3 years of residency :(

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish can jump. Two of my reefer buddies have both had clowns jump out of their tanks. I advise in getting a cover
Well don’t they jump when they are chased by another fish? If they are the biggest fish in the tank they shouldn't jump right

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a bare bottom so no sand wrasses either

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don’t they jump when they are chased by another fish? If they are the biggest fish in the tank they shouldn't jump right
Not true they will jump if they’re scared. I have a magnificent rabbit fish in my tank. Was getting ready for work one morning At around 5am and put some stuff on the couch in front of the tank. All the sudden I hear crazy splashing and water is going everywhere. Somehow I spooked my rabbit fish. If I didn’t have a net on I guarantee I would be scrambling to pick him up off the floor without stabbing myself on one of his spines.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true they will jump if they’re scared. I have a magnificent rabbit fish in my tank. Was getting ready for work one morning At around 5am and put some stuff on the couch in front of the tank. All the sudden I hear crazy splashing and water is going everywhere. Somehow I spooked my rabbit fish. If I didn’t have a net on I guarantee I would be scrambling to pick him up off the floor without stabbing myself on one of his spines.
Ok well how could I go about making a net to go above it and make it look clean. I tried making one for my 72 but it didn't turn out to good

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People spook fish all the time walking by... also, my clown was the alpha of the tank, second biggest and easily the meanest (Clarkii to be specific). They can jump for a number of reasons. This guy was fat and happy fed multiple times a day; still jumped.

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well how could I go about making a net to go above it and make it look clean. I tried making one for my 72 but it didn't turn out to good
The brs diy net covers are very good and sturdy. Red Sea also makes a diy net cover but I don’t like it as much since the net is cheaper and rips easily.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back