Suggestions on fragging Purple hornets??

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
A couple of guys I know and myself got together and got a frag of 4 polyps of purple hornets at a really good price. One of us is going to pick it up in the next day or two.

We were thinking about just leaving it in a tank and waiting until it grows out more and then fragging it. Or possibly just going ahead and fragging it in about a week or so after it has been in the new tank. If we frag it now, we'll try to frag it into two single polyp frags and one 2 polyp frag.

So for those of you that have them or have successfully fragged them (or anyone else), Can you offer some suggestions? Particular way to frag them or not to frag them. Special dips for after fragging. Anything you might suggest would be appreciated. (Do's or Don'ts)

Thanks,
Rob

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave them as they are...you will have much faster growth and split them up in a month or two. Otherwise, I frag my zoas all the same. I keep them on the typical sand/cement frag plugs. I take a surgical grade scalpel, cut gently under the polyps I am trying to get off, scraping into the plug itself. 99% of the time, the blade will never come in contact with the zoa. Cut any of the skin that is stuck to the plug gently with the tip of the blade. Super glue gel it to a new plug and, with my results, the zoa will be open again in about an hour or two...completely undamaged.

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Leave them as they are. 1 polp could double to 2 polps, but 4 could double to 8 and then double again to 16 polyps in the same amount of time. Just my observations.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on just leave them as they are...i notice that if u frag ph it slows down the growth...:)though they are easy to frag...everytime i frag mine,it opens up right away...

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Leave them as they are. 1 polp could double to 2 polps, but 4 could double to 8 and then double again to 16 polyps in the same amount of time. Just my observations.

Doesnt exactly grow exponentially. Larger colonies, like say, 8 or more, will only add polyps on the perimeter. All of the isolated polyps in the center are not sprouting babies at this point.

OP
OP
Railrider1920

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I was leaning towards leaving them alone for a while myself. Hopefully the others will want to do that too.
Thanks again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back