Suggestions - Which wave pump or gyre for Red Sea Max 250 AIO?

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I have a RSM 250 and I’m looking for suggestions for wave pumps or a gyre pump. The display area is 36”L x 16”D x 20”T. I have an Apex system so wanted to use their WAV pumps but everything I’ve read indicates they produce way too much flow for this tank size. I was ready to buy an IceCap 1k gyre and the Apex interface for it but decided to get some input from the experts here. Your suggestions, personal experiences, and comments are all welcome.

Thanks for your help.

KD

Chele17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following was just looking to change my wave pump, I was looking at the gyre pump. interest to hear some input.

OP
OP
Kenny D

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...it’s been 3 days since posted that and I’m still waiting for some input.

KD

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It’s relative to your budget. IMO there is nothing better than Ecotech’s Vortech lineof pumps. Check it out and see what makes it different from others

Gyres can put out a lot of flow as well. I returned my icecap 1k because it was too much ...at least for my 20g nano Your experience may vary

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank, dimension wise at 36x18x20, and I use a pair of MP40s. I looked into getting a pair of Maxspect Gyre 330s. By all accounts they have great flow and the latest generation is much quieter and supposedly easier to take apart than the prior generation. However, maintenance for those Gyres are still a bear relative to the Vortechs. If I didn’t use MP 40s, I would have gotten a pair of Tunze 6095s. They have a wide flow pattern that you can direct and will keep working even if you are lax on maintenance. Those Tunze powerheads are as bombproof as you can get in this hobby.

OP
OP
Kenny D

Kenny D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tuan and Water Dog. Exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve been looking at the MP40w QD with the new driver if I decide to go the Wave Pump direction. And after a lot of reading I’ve ruled out the Ice Cap 1k as it may not have enough flow. I don’t want water splashing out of the tank so I’m thinking more of a middle ground gyre, Maxspec 250 or 280. Opinions?

Thanks for the replies.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for mp40, can always start with one, add another down the road, I ran 2x on a 4ft 75 sps tank, loved them!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back