Gyre Pump in AIO: Impossible? Magnet Solution?

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to use a gyre in my 20G AIO to provide more flow for corals. I have the tank positioned in such a way that all 3 unpainted walls make for great viewing angles, and I’d prefer not to negatively impact any visible side by putting large magnets on it. As such- I’d like to position the gyre on the back wall, which would mean that the outer magnet is not on the outside of the glass, but inside the rear baffles. Here’s where one major issue and two minor issues both become fairly apparent, and I’m unsure how I’d go about solving them.

125B12A7-47CE-4A41-9839-C205F9347E7A.jpeg

I’ll start with the first minor issue. The OEM magnets that come with gyres- are they sealed well enough that they could be used while submerged? Obviously the magnets that come with Maxspect, Icecap, Red Sea Gyre pumps were never intended to be used on the inside so they might not receive the same emphasis on sealing. Would I need to get a different magnet to solve this issue?

Now onto the big problem. The fact that based on the length of the magnet, even on the smallest models, it’s bound to be longer than one individual chamber in my AIO’s rear baffles. How could I go about solving such an issue?

Lastly- It’s also worth mentioning I use a Bubble Magus mini Q protein skimmer in the central chamber of my AIO so if the magnet were thick I might have interference issues there as well.
9837C6A4-8178-4CC3-856A-4188A7FB7F75.jpeg

Could a shorter magnet be used with the maxspect models? Either the Jump ones that look identical to the Icecap versions or the higher end XF-330/350 models. Would a magnet only ~4” long be too short? The alternative solution I thought of would be to build a bracket- 3 pieces of polycarbonate glued into a [ shape- and glue it into my AIO during a water change So that both the gyre AND its magnet could sit in front of the baffle wall? This would also prevent the magnet from pushing the skimmer proud of the wall.
BAAB6CA3-6993-4142-A270-24E89736628B.jpeg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Jebao ECP-50m. Small gyre, small magnet.

You can also vacuum seal the magnet in a plastic bag to keep it dry.

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A moth late to the discussion; Ice cap gyre allows you to use half the gyre, so that might resolve the too much flow/agitation even at lowest setting. I had 20G AIO and used Nero on side glass near the top - does not obstruct view. And I swapped out the stock return pump with Sicce Syncra 1.5 pump (do the chamber lengthx width measurement) and exchanged the return nozzle to bifurcated random flow generator nozzle. Got great directionality and flow. I did get extra turnover with my hang on back Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 15 Watt sterilizer: It hung in chamber 3 (near the outlet nozzle) and it was connected to a Sicce Syncra nano pump in chamber 2 (resting on top of my bio balls bag).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back