suitable tankmates for swissguard basslet pair (liopropoma rubre)

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am currently restocking a 28g jbj nano, with the intention that this will be my 18-month-old's tank to watch growing up, and hopefully eventually learn about and maintain as she gets older. yes, i realize it will be quite some time before she will be ready for all of that. :tongue:

as the intention of this tank is for a toddler to enjoy, i am torn between stocking it with fish i'd like to be collecting as an advanced hobbyist v/s stocking it the way that might best keep her interest. i've been a fan of liopropoma basslets ever since caring for a few select candy and swissguard basslets as they passed through a reef store i once worked at.

i realize that small, reclusive fish probably aren't the best fish to keep a toddler's attention. however, i believe that with the right tank-mates, a liopropoma bonded pair may spend more time out in the open. i've located a source with multiple swissguard basslets and they are currently attempting to bond two of them. if all goes as planned, they should be entering the tank in 3 weeks.

i am looking to stock the tank with complimenting fish that will not intimidate the swissguards to the point that they never come out of the rock work. so far, the only other fish in the tank is a yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair.

any recommendations for other fish that will mix well with the "stars" of the tank? ideally fish that will be out in the open/swimming freely, but non-aggressive/territorial.

a couple of possibles in my mind, though i've made no decision one way or the other yet:
- golden assessor (not sure if this is a great idea w/ minimal rockwork to compete with the swissguards' space...and not exactly a free swimmer)
- helfrichi firefish (not sure if this is a great idea to mix with the yasha goby)
- true percula clownfish pair (slightly concerned the swissguards would be more reclusive if these are in the tank - maybe/maybe not?)
- barnacle blenny(s) (i have a large barnacle cluster at the front of the tank where they would hopefully reside)

any input/advice/thoughts appreciated.

cheers!
ben

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked up a swissguard basslet 6 -7 months ago and put it in my 50 gallon lps/sps reef. ( 30" x 20" x20" )
I was really excited about getting it, but I knew they were a fairly timid fish and would spend alot of time in the rock.
But I figured as time went on, it would get braver and would appear more and more.
I have to tell ya, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen it, and still be able to type.
I thought I had lost it for the first 4 months.

The other fish in the tank are a yellow multibanded pipe fish and a rainsford gobie, so there isn't any agression or intimidation going on.
Good luck with your selection

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
argh - not what i was hoping to hear.

i'm hoping that with a bonded pair, perhaps they will be more active and out and about? :/

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not sure on that one.
Maybe if it does have a mate, then it will feel more secure.

I just know that my single one is very tough to see, even at feeding time.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back