Sump baffle/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
3,355
Reaction score
2,383
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to set the sump up wrong.

I am running a external pump and external skimmer. I am trying to divide the sump up just to eliminate bubbles...how many baffles are needed? Can I get by with one, or do I need more as in one down, one up, one down method?
 
You will need at least three in an over/under/over combination, and you may still end up with microbubbles depending on your configuration.

You can stuff a piece of high density foam or filter pad in between the baffles to get rid of the microbubbles.
 
You probably could get away with two but three is better. Two baffles would be set up like the last two on a 3 baffle set up. That would draw from the bottom and the hopefully all bubbles would pop when they go over the second baffle. If it were me I'd set up three though.
 
A lot depends on how much flow is going over or under because faster water moving u can have 6 baffles the bubbles are travelling so fast with the water you will still end up going though them foam block would definitely stop most of em
 
I will do three. I have two pieces of glass and caulked in the first one tonight. Was hoping I could either stay with it or just add one more. I will just get another piece. I had issues with micro bubbles on my last setup and it annoyed the crap out of me
 
I will do three. I have two pieces of glass and caulked in the first one tonight. Was hoping I could either stay with it or just add one more. I will just get another piece. I had issues with micro bubbles on my last setup and it annoyed the crap out of me
You may still have microbubbles with three baffles, but some filter pad will eliminate that issue.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new