sump build???

Redneckreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a sump for my 90 because i thin that will my cheapest way. Looking at a 40 breeder for the sump. does anyone have any drawn out plans for one and a list of materials I will need and where to get them. This will be my first and I am a total newb at this so all help will be much appreciated.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need 1/4" inch for the dividers in the sump. You'll also need aquarium safe silicone (ge II is one or look for 'aquarium safe' on the label). A builder's square helps so the divider is perfectly vertical. Let me see if i can find more detailed instructions for you.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need 1/4" inch for the dividers in the sump. You'll also need aquarium safe silicone (ge II is one or look for 'aquarium safe' on the label). A builder's square helps so the divider is perfectly vertical. Let me see if i can find more detailed instructions for you.
Sorry to disagree here, but the GE Silicone 1 is the safer silicone of the two. GE Silicone II uses mold inhibitors. Better yet, use Momentive RTV 103 or 108 (black or clear). Stronger bond and is more of a construction adhesive.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use this stuff, work well for me

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin is correct....it's GE Slicone I that is the "safe" hardware store silicone. DO NOT USE GE SILICONE II. What's also important is letting it cure for as long as you can.....I'd say a minimum of three days, but would prefer even a couple days more.

As far as the design of the sump (size of each compartment and location), that will be dependent on the drain configuration and the size of the equipment you wish to fit into the sump. First and foremost is your skimmer. You want to be able to fit your skimmer, and also have the room to take it out of the sump. I've seen folks who made their skimmer compartment to just fit their skimmer, and once installed in the stand, could not get their skimmer in or out of the compartment.

I too have a 90 gallon DT with a 40 Breeder sump. I have three compartments with no bubble traps. I found that I really didn't need them. I only get bubbles from the water cascading over the baffles...nothing from my skimmer. I also have two drains....one is each back corner of the sump, with the return section in the center of the sump. Here's a picture of my 40 Breeder:

One more calculation you'll need to do is to determine the amount of water flowing back into the sump once your pump is turned off. I always get people commenting that my baffles are too high and my sump will overflow. Well I calculated the amount of water and it comes right to the top of the baffles....fits just fine.

Planning is critical to a great sump! Know what you want to do.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a top view of my 40B sump after I completed it. Tank drains into the left rear chamber, flows over and into two 4" filter socks, into the skimmer section, through the bubble trap and into the return section. The compartment on the right is an area for frags. Could also be used as a refugium. The bulkheads on the back wall are for the return pump (on the right), the manifold pump (center) and a drain to accommodate a drain from a remote refugium. The mini-bulkhead fittings inside of the filter sock section is where my ATO and doser enter the sump. Many ways to skin a cat and build a sump though.

photo_zps088f2ba8.jpg

Last edited:

reefjunkieken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is based on the size of a 75g but you could downsize

This is the finished product. I decided to go with a 40g breeder that I had laying around

Sump installed. There are many ways to build a sump. Just Google sump design and go with what you like and what has worked.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back