Sump cleaning ??

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had an aquarium with a sump and I’m wondering if and how often you change the foam piece in the chamber before the return pump chamber and the best place to buy new foam when needed.
Also how long should I wait to start a refugium after I’ve begun stocking the tank after it’s done cycling

2271312E-86EA-4E4D-B5CB-8EE35EF26058.jpeg C426F5A3-1D61-492C-8C75-86F7B3DA23FB.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had an aquarium with a sump and I’m wondering if and how often you change the foam piece in the chamber before the return pump chamber and the best place to buy new foam when needed.
Also how long should I wait to start a refugium after I’ve begun stocking the tank after it’s done cycling
For the mat you can get a piece of this and cut it. It will last a long time. Comes in different grades..ie; colors. Change it 1 time a month or just rinse it out real well when doing water changes.

When to start the fuge; It really depends on what you plan on putting in the fuge.
If it will have rock and / or sand then as soon as your system is running with out issues. Skimmer is broken in ect....
If it will just have chaeto then you need to wait until you have nutrients. Your rock will turn brown, red, green ect... Your nitrate and po4 will start to climb from feeding your fish. Then there might be enough nutrients to support the macro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the mat you can get a piece of this and cut it. It will last a long time. Comes in different grades..ie; colors. Change it 1 time a month or just rinse it out real well when doing water changes.

When to start the fuge; It really depends on what you plan on putting in the fuge.
If it will have rock and / or sand then as soon as your system is running with out issues. Skimmer is broken in ect....
If it will just have chaeto then you need to wait until you have nutrients. Your rock will turn brown, red, green ect... Your nitrate and po4 will start to climb from feed your fish. then there might be enough nutrients to support the macro.
So if I check my nitrate and po4 initially when I start to add fish and once I see them rise I can start the refugium (it’ll be chaeto only) about what level would you suggest it’s time to start the refugium?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back