Sump design. Is this a dumb idea?

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am trying to make a super cheap bare bones sump to go under my cube tank. I have collected gear like a filter roller, oversized skimmer, and algae scrubber, so I don’t need a custom sump with lots of compartments. Just a watertight box with a singe return baffle section, that makes the most of my 22”x23” footprint.

The cheapest sump options for a small area seem to be petco tanks with baffles. My problem is a 20g tall is too long, and a 10-15 is too narrow/short. I need more of a square, but those aren’t the cheapest.

I’m thinking i get 2 10g tanks, and drill them for bulkheads/pvc. So the 2 tanks plumb together to make a horseshoe kind of flow. I’d put a baffle for the return to control evaporation, and possibly a baffle after the skimmer to stabilize skimmer water level. Does this sound like a solid plan or is there a better way that isn’t that much more expensive?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make a super cheap bare bones sump to go under my cube tank. I have collected gear like a filter roller, oversized skimmer, and algae scrubber, so I don’t need a custom sump with lots of compartments. Just a watertight box with a singe return baffle section, that makes the most of my 22”x23” footprint.

The cheapest sump options for a small area seem to be petco tanks with baffles. My problem is a 20g tall is too long, and a 10-15 is too narrow/short. I need more of a square, but those aren’t the cheapest.

I’m thinking i get 2 10g tanks, and drill them for bulkheads/pvc. So the 2 tanks plumb together to make a horseshoe kind of flow. I’d put a baffle for the return to control evaporation, and possibly a baffle after the skimmer to stabilize skimmer water level. Does this sound like a solid plan or is there a better way that isn’t that much more expensive?
That would work - and likely be less expensive than a custom sump.

We have a larger Cube tank (134-gallons) in our front lobby and had to go custom. We created an L-shape sump

That allowed us to maximize space while still leaving room for other equipment to go under the tank

I think you could do something similar with the individual tank idea - but I would look for a 20-long and a 10-cube. Then create a L shape out of them - just make sure they are the same height so one doesn't fill up and over flow the other section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would work - and likely be less expensive than a custom sump.

We have a larger Cube tank (134-gallons) in our front lobby and had to go custom. We created an L-shape sump

That allowed us to maximize space while still leaving room for other equipment to go under the tank

I think you could do something similar with the individua tank idea - but I would lock for a 20-long and a 10-cube. Then create a L shape out of them - just make sure they are the same height so one doesn't fill up and over flow the other section.
That’s a good idea. I’ll look into an L shaped as well. Thanks for the advice!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you consider the time, effort and cost, it may not be worth it.

I just installed my first baffle-less sump about a month ago. I used a 33 Long. You can use any Rubbermaid bin as a sump. They come in many different sizes. I'm sure you can find something.

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I just installed my first baffle-less sump about a month ago. I used a 33 Long. You can use any Rubbermaid bin as a sump. They come in many different sizes. I'm sure you can find something.
I’m assuming you have an ato and skimmer… how have your water level fluctuations been for keeping the skimmer level consistent and salinity swings with more evaporation needed to trigger the ato? Would you still go baffle less again?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip trying to combine tanks as this only adds unnecessary points of failure. I would skip the baffles as they are not necessary unless your skimmer has a microbubble issue. Just find a Rubbermaid or cheap tank that fits. If your trying to save $ you might want to reconsider the filter roller. My experience is that they require frequent filter roll$$$$

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you have an ato and skimmer… how have your water level fluctuations been for keeping the skimmer level consistent and salinity swings with more evaporation needed to trigger the ato? Would you still go baffle less again?

Yes, I run a skimmer and I have a gravity-fed ATO, which means I don't have to concern myself with complex ATO systems that require electricity, solenoids and sensors. My ATO reservoir is my 40 gallon Brute container where I keep RODI stored. I've just tapped into that and never worry about filling it.

I have no fluctuation in water level. As long as the water level is consistent, then your skimmer should operate trouble free. My experience is that the air intake will sometimes become obstructed, effectively changing the setting on the skimmer and cause it to overflow.

And YES; I absolutely would go without baffles. You have more room for equipment placement. And I have a refugium; it is just two pieces of egg crate which keep the macro algae contained and placed a refugium light over it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your trying to save $ you might want to reconsider the filter roller. My experience is that they require frequent filter roll$$$$

While they work well, I think roller mats are a gimmick.

I do the same thing with a piece of white felt in my media tray. I purchased a pack of 50 sheets for $9.99.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do the same thing with a piece of white felt in my media tray. I purchased a pack of 50 sheets for $9.99.
I pay £12 a roll and it lasts 2+ months! Not expensive one bit .
Plus I don't have to mess about with filter socks or floss every few days !
Set and forget .

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set and forget .

And I maintain that automation in reef tanks can be a dangerous thing.

When we automate too much, we tend to become disconnected from our tanks.

Small problems, when detected early can be corrected. With automation, small problems can go undetected until much later, resulting in a bigger, more complicated issues.

My preference is to be hands on. But I understand why

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Its only a dumb idea if it doesn't work - and make life easier for you:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BTW - IMHO - you already have things you don't need - you should be good

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to assume that your media tray doesn’t have a manufacturer’s logo?
How can it work properly without that branding feature? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
(Asking for a friend:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:)

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are great! I’m going to look into just getting an Aqueon cube or marine land probably. Going to start with no baffles and see how that goes. Skimmer microbubbles are a huge reason for upgrading the sump and skimmer, so we’ll see if I end up needing a bubble trap.

And for clarification, I am not worried about spending money (especially on a filter roller). I’m worried about spending money on a custom sump that will be replaced in the near future when an upgrade happens. Most people who will buy my current tank used won’t have all the gear that lets them get away with a bare bones sump.

Thanks for all the input!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are great! I’m going to look into just getting an Aqueon cube or marine land probably. Going to start with no baffles and see how that goes. Skimmer microbubbles are a huge reason for upgrading the sump and skimmer, so we’ll see if I end up needing a bubble trap.

And for clarification, I am not worried about spending money (especially on a filter roller). I’m worried about spending money on a custom sump that will be replaced in the near future when an upgrade happens. Most people who will buy my current tank used won’t have all the gear that lets them get away with a bare bones sump.

Thanks for all the input!
Agreed - I frankly cannot see the reason anyone would have a custom sump (i.e. a purchased one) - unless it happens to come with the system you are buying. No offense to anyone that has one - But - when I see some of the prices for some plexiglass (nicely colored) - I wonder couldn't I make the same thing with a glass aquarium - and some cut glass from the hardware store?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You may disagree - but thats ok:). sumps are overrated - IMHO - except to increase the total water volume of a tank

EDIT - and to hide cords/equipment.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back