Sump design. Is this a dumb idea?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder couldn't I make the same thing with a glass aquarium - and some cut glass from the hardware store?

Yes you could. I did and planned out the layout before putting together. Just be careful, those panes you get from the hardware store are thin and sharp. I doubled a couple of the bigger panes I needed and siliconed them together and it was still way cheaper then going to a glass shop to have thicker glass custom cut.

SFALReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you could. I did and planned out the layout before putting together. Just be careful, those panes you get from the hardware store are thin and sharp. I doubled a couple of the bigger panes I needed and siliconed them together and it was still way cheaper then going to a glass shop to have thicker glass custom cut.
Better to go to a glass shop. Cheaper than the big box stores and get the thickness you want. They might even have scraps around they'd be willing to "give" you for cheaper.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to go to a glass shop. Cheaper than the big box stores and get the thickness you want. They might even have scraps around they'd be willing to "give" you for cheaper.
Wasn't cheaper around me. I got some quotes from a couple glass shops.

I did get some pieces from them that I used to reinforce my tank I resealed where I needed thicker glass.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER liked Baffles, Went Baffleless. Great room for all Equipment and No Micro bubbles in my tank. Baffles overrated IMO. LOL
For me the baffles keeps an area that I know will never run low or empty. I also force the flow to go exactly how I wanted from drain/dosing/skimmer section, to heater/bio/RUGF/ATS/let things grow area, and then to return pump. Not about microbubbles.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the baffles keeps an area that I know will never run low or empty. I also force the flow to go exactly how I wanted from drain/dosing/skimmer section, to heater/bio/RUGF/ATS/let things grow area, and then to return pump. Not about microbubbles.
Yep. Along with setting the water height in the skimmer section.

WillpoleReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make a super cheap bare bones sump to go under my cube tank. I have collected gear like a filter roller, oversized skimmer, and algae scrubber, so I don’t need a custom sump with lots of compartments. Just a watertight box with a singe return baffle section, that makes the most of my 22”x23” footprint.

The cheapest sump options for a small area seem to be petco tanks with baffles. My problem is a 20g tall is too long, and a 10-15 is too narrow/short. I need more of a square, but those aren’t the cheapest.

I’m thinking i get 2 10g tanks, and drill them for bulkheads/pvc. So the 2 tanks plumb together to make a horseshoe kind of flow. I’d put a baffle for the return to control evaporation, and possibly a baffle after the skimmer to stabilize skimmer water level. Does this sound like a solid plan or is there a better way that isn’t that much more expensive?
I made this for my 1 metre cube from 8mm glass. Just two compartments, one refugium and Jaubert plenum combined, plus the main for skimmer and pumps. It maximises the use of available space. Don’t want socks or pretty coloured plastic, don’t think the tank will care,

Steve
1FE929FC-2C1B-4F6A-A700-09CF3638BD00.jpeg
AD169EF0-9A77-4F33-9070-18ACFAAFA381.jpeg

dowdalld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always made my own sumps, either glass or acrylic. In the beginning I used "triple" bubble trap baffles between each section, a complete waste of space. Now I have a single fixed divider before the return pump to set water level and the rest is one big open space. I think today's skimmers have less issues with microbubbles.

On the roller filter; I also used fleece that I replaced daily and thought it was OK. On a whim I bought a roller filter and it was one if the best purchases I have made. A 20€ roll lasts 2 months plus so not that expensive and water is crystal clear. I also worried that the dirty roll would be smelly but somehow it's not

OP
OP
slogan315

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always made my own sumps, either glass or acrylic. In the beginning I used "triple" bubble trap baffles between each section, a complete waste of space. Now I have a single fixed divider before the return pump to set water level and the rest is one big open space. I think today's skimmers have less issues with microbubbles.

On the roller filter; I also used fleece that I replaced daily and thought it was OK. On a whim I bought a roller filter and it was one if the best purchases I have made. A 20€ roll lasts 2 months plus so not that expensive and water is crystal clear. I also worried that the dirty roll would be smelly but somehow it's not
I’ve been wondering the same thing. My filter socks smell so why wouldn’t the roller smell….

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back