Sump design...will it work?

Kyle’s_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m redoing my sump for my 30gal reef tank the sump is 10gal and below is how I wanna do it...will it work if not what needs to be changed or could be better?
fe1fee563efdb68ac9b32824a0b8bc4a.jpg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I think overall it is a good design. I'd not separate the filter sock from the drain with a bubble trap. It's just extra materials and space and you really won't gain anything. You're better off taking the space you save there and adding it to the return section. That's where evaporation is seen. The more volume you have there, the longer it will be between times you need to top it off with RODI.

OP
OP
Kyle’s_exotics

Kyle’s_exotics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I think overall it is a good design. I'd not separate the filter sock from the drain with a bubble trap. It's just extra materials and space and you really won't gain anything. You're better off taking the space you save there and adding it to the return section. That's where evaporation is seen. The more volume you have there, the longer it will be between times you need to top it off with RODI.

I did it for noise that way I can direct water into the sock with out having the pipe directly over the sock or in the sock and to make it easy to change and I am adding auto top off system so the space should be fine! Thanks for the input!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@albano is correct I'm about to pull my sump & reset the panels cause baffles are taking up too much space .

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want under-over baffles in the fuge, that promotes stagnant surface water and contaminates. Use over-under baffles in the fuge so your skimming the surface water.

Back