Sump/fuge cuc?

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any good critters for a in sump refugium with chaeto? Something just to help clean up detritus that settles?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few trochus snails in mine. They keep the sump walls clean. I didn’t put them in there on purpose though, lol.

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it's better to not put any regular clean up crew into your fuge, if your goal is to have your fuge create a population of pods and other microlife that can feed the tank. Every milligram of algae or detritus eaten by a snail means less food for them.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it's better to not put any regular clean up crew into your fuge, if your goal is to have your fuge create a population of pods and other microlife that can feed the tank. Every milligram of algae or detritus eaten by a snail means less food for them.
Thanks eschaton that makes a lot of sense

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to remember if your point of a fuge is for nutrient export then and you add snails even though they are small you will be adding to your tanks bioload. And you can get a small pump to vacuum out the detritus when doing water changes hope this helps

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on keeping a hermit crab in my fuge. Mostly just because I want to keep a hermit crab, but don't trust him with the rest of the inhabitants in the DT.

What's he going to do when he grows out of his shell?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back