Sump has been fallow for a week. Nice advice!

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh!

My return pump went out a week ago and my backup failed as well. The tank (90g) has a lot of flow from powerheads so I wasn't overly concerned about the short term and just threw the heater and thermometer (controlled by apex) into the display, shut down everything in the sump area and just topped off evaporation by hand.

The plan was to quickly overnight a new pump and just swap out the nonfunctional ones but due to some unforeseen delays it only arrived yesterday. Well, I'm guessing the original plan would be a poor idea at this point as the sump area, which needed cleaning anyways, has been lying fallow without circulation for 6 days, the pH has dropped to about 7.6 and it is smelling pretty ripe (lol).

Here is my new plan but I am definitely looking for advice from people:
1. Pump all water out of current sump (only 25g - no refugium).
2. Remove and discard all media
3. Clean thoroughly
4. Put in new media and install new pump (reef octopus varios 8)
5. Refill sump with fresh salt water.
6. Fire up the new pump at about the same rate the old one used (about 370g/hour) and adjust from there.

This sound about right? Any tips? Things to look out for? Other options?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Do a deep clean and start fresh with new saltwater.

as long as salinity matches you should be fine. If you want to be ultra cautious, start really low on the flow until the sump content has circulated over several times through then turn it up to normal.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)After sitting stagnant for a week, I would definitely plan to discard the sump water.

2)I can't think of a single reason why you would want to discard your already cycled media. Give it a good rinse off and your salt water and add it back to your sump. Good to go.

Everything else sounds right. Due to efficiency loss with an old pump versus a brand new one, be prepared to need to do a little bit of tuning on your flow rate.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump just went days ago, but I used the pump that circulates the water in my change tank temporarily. Apparently you didn't think of that or you have some other type of set up for changes

I hope you close your shut off valve at your drain line. You certainly do not want sump water leaking back up the line into your tank.

I'm currently looking for a variable speed right now

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)After sitting stagnant for a week, I would definitely plan to discard the sump water.

2)I can't think of a single reason why you would want to discard your already cycled media. Give it a good rinse off and your salt water and add it back to your sump. Good to go.

Everything else sounds right. Due to efficiency loss with an old pump versus a brand new one, be prepared to need to do a little bit of tuning on your flow rate.
I was thinking replace the filtration (bacteria) media as all the good stuff living it it might be completely dead at this point. Yeah, carbon and whatnot are fine.

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump just went days ago, but I used the pump that circulates the water in my change tank temporarily. Apparently you didn't think of that or you have some other type of set up for changes

I hope you close your shut off valve at your drain line. You certainly do not want sump water leaking back up the line into your tank.

I'm currently looking for a variable speed right now
Yeah my water station pump is hard-plumbed into the fresh and salt water containers. I figured I would be good as I always have had a backup pump on hand...I didn't anticipate simultaneous failures.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking replace the filtration (bacteria) media as all the good stuff living it it might be completely dead at this point. Yeah, carbon and whatnot are fine.

Imo, brendon, a R2R member would be the best person in this area. He pulled me out of a hole after a tank crash

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my water station pump is hard-plumbed into the fresh and salt water containers. I figured I would be good as I always have had a backup pump on hand...I didn't anticipate simultaneous failures.
When it rains, it pours

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bacteria didn't all die off. In fact you may have been power feeding some types. A good rinse and back in will have zero adverse effects.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back