Sump help and ideas and opinions needed

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old layout that someone provided me. I am wondering thoughts and ideas of layout and what should actually be the best to have in middle compartment

65AD42AE-3DA0-4E54-80BD-4B0841134CEC.jpeg E550922D-B80A-47FE-8229-F125D6F95095.jpeg C0139226-2EFE-4C3C-8B25-F5F2ABE313A1.jpeg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want.

You could have macro algae and a refugium section. You could pack it full of live rock or any other type of media. Or you could even just have the skimmer in the middle section.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Triton Method on my tank, so if that were me, I'd make it a refugium with some Chaeto.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you think of the basic set up with the water coming in and skimmer in same area and water flows under the wall?

I'd much rather have the water coming into a sock section and then into the refugium and then into a section with skimmer, and then under another baffe for the return, but that's just my preference. Yours should work just fine.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently also dealing with high phosphate and nitrates tank is 4 months old and no clue what’s going as I don’t over feed

Could be leaching out of rock. It's been happening to us. We're using ROWAphos and it's working spectacularly.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is home made. I am not using any mechanical filtration. I have an 18 inch drop to subsurface from my overflow. In the main compartment I have sugar fine sand mixed with miracle mud with macro algea. my only baffle is 4 inches from the end for my return pump. my skimmer is an hob that I made myself. I get 12 oz of skim every three days. I don't know how much this will help but it works for me. Btw it is made in a 30 gallon tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently also dealing with high phosphate and nitrates tank is 4 months old and no clue what’s going as I don’t over feed

How big is the tank? Start doing some water changes to bring the numbers down.

The nitrates are probably from over feeding, and that's not necessarily a jab at you. It takes time to learn how much you actually need to feed the fish, most can do with substantially less than what we give them. How many fish? How much and what do you feed?

What type of rock did you use, and did you cure it before putting in the display? Phosphates can leach out of rock. It's not the end of the world. I good phosphate absorbing media will help reduce the phosphate down to manageable levels.

Do you have any bacteria you can dose? I found that adding some bacteria between water changes seemed to slow the rise of nitrates. This is purely anecdotal evidence, I have zero evidence to back this theory up, and it is quite possibly that the water changes did the exporting of nutrients and I correlated it to the addition of bacteria because I had started dosing. And as we all know correlation does not mean causation.

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is 4 months old and what I think is I didn’t cure the old live rock and sand from my last tank correctly and I am seeing these issues start possibly. Also I noticed I need to do a better job at cleaning the detritus out of middle part of sump it’s pretty dirty. I currently only have 4 fish in it. I am also doing an addition of adding a filter sock chamber this weekend. And changing my RODI unit around. I run 2 Kessil A360x at 70% for part of the day but that’s only 5 hours at that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back