Sump ideas

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people. I just upgraded to a bigger system with a sump which I'm just in the process of finalising.
Can I have some best practices and ideas about what to put where please?
I have 3 main sections and the divide between them is 2 pieces of glass with slots in.
My thoughts are, section 1 will house the skimmer, section 2 either live rock, sand or bio balls from the filter of my smaller tank I'm shutting down or perhaps a mixture of all 3?.
I'm thinking the first divider which is approx an inch thick in size I was going to get some course filter foam sheet and cut it to fit in that section then the second divider a finer foam to polish the water.
I've posted a picture so you can hopefully visualise what I mean.

DSC_1063.JPG

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how big your display tank will be, but that first chamber looks a little small for a skimmer (left side of pic), but if you can fit it in there, along with a filter sock for overflow drain, I would. Second chamber I would make into a refugium. Last chamber your return section.
With a filter sock on the overflow, you won't need those filter pads. Besides, IMO, they clog up and slow down the flow across the sump, causing other issues such as the sump level lowering causing your ATO to turn on, or your return pump drawing in air, etc.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump is basically a copy of mine. I also put a filter sock, UV sterilizer and a skimmer in the first section, some rock and chaeto in the 2nd with a grow light over it, and a return pump in the 3rd.

I also hung some carbon bags in 1 and 3 and a wave pump that keeps both 1 and 2 stirred up.

IMG_20210422_120910087.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller in the first section, cheato in the second section, third section return pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back