Sump layout.

  • Thread starter Thread starter scooter24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scooter24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Messages
212
Reaction score
98
Location
Durand Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons for the skimmer to be in the return chamber of a sump? A fellow reefer has a proflex modle 2 sump for sale and the only place to really put the skimmer is in the return chamber. Just curious as to if this can cause problems in the future if u decide to use calcium ractor or other forms of dosing. Thanks!
 
The biggest "con" I know of when I owned one was the transfer of microbubbles into the DT.

Personally I dislike the overall build quality of that sump, out of the box it had issue with the welded internal baffles.
 
Last edited:
^ That, and it's tough to get good skimmer performance when the water level it's sitting in is in a constant state of flux.
 
Yea I have this gut feeling tthat I need to pass on it. Idk if i just wana build another sump or buy one. I don't mind building them just saw this and was trying to do a little reaserch on it.
 
Idk if i just wana build another sump or buy one. I don't mind building them just saw this and was trying to do a little reaserch on it.
To say I like DIY sumps is a bit of an understatement but, I also sometime like to go the prefab route... IMHO, take a look at the Trigger Systems the build quality is really good and in the yrs I have owned the one I have it has been rock solid... They will also make custom sumps designed to your exact specifications and best part is it comes with a warranty.
 
Yea I have looked k to them before and would love to get a sump by trigger, but I am a college student on a budget. I do my best to be able to afford thus hoby and thsee sumps are pretty price to a college student.
 
If I'm not mistaken Petco $1 a gallon tank sale is going on right now, they make great DIY sumps and will save you some money!
 
Not saying it's not an option just have to make sure I prioritize my money good ha. But yea a sump is not always needing to look pretty so that's why I was thinking about just doing another diy. But the triggers are nice!
 
What are the pros and cons for the skimmer to be in the return chamber of a sump? A fellow reefer has a proflex modle 2 sump for sale and the only place to really put the skimmer is in the return chamber. Just curious as to if this can cause problems in the future if u decide to use calcium ractor or other forms of dosing. Thanks!

My 30 long is one giant return chamber with an Ultralife ATO (standard electronic float-nothing fancy) and I've never had a problem with any skimmer I've run. (Oceanic "plus series" Model 6, AquaC EV90 and Tunze 9410)

I would recommend something similar. :)
 
The new eshopps line seems pretty decent at a pretty good price. You could check those out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new