Sump options for 120-180 gallon tanks.

Kevin Beadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of upgrading my 20 gallon tank to a 120 or 180 gallon set up. Originally I was going to do the classic put a sump In the stand. My wife came out of left field and ask me if I could put the sump in the laundry room and Plum it to the living area of the basement where the tank would be.

This got me thinking I can get a bigger sump then what would fit under the tank. I'd rather not buy another huge tank for the sump. I was wondering Has anyone used a tote or large Rubbermaid tubs as sumps to save some money? If so would you recommend it? I'm also open to any other ideas for sumps that are unorthodox.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermade are fine, but they issue is that you cannot see in them. Totes are hit and miss depending on the kind. Are you in an area where there is a used market or craigslist? I got a scratched up 120g for $50 to use as a sump recently. You ought to be able to find a 55, 75 or other medium large tank for cheap that has dented trim or scratches.

Consider raising the sump off of the ground so that you can siphon debris out of it... it is also less head to get water back to the tank.

Remote sumps are awesome if you can swing it. My guess it that you will never want to go back to under-the-tank sump if you have the choice.

OP
OP
Kevin Beadle

Kevin Beadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 55 gallon laying around but sense I have basically unlimited space for a sump I wanted to see how realistically big I can go. Even though the Marineland stand that comes with the 180 has alot of room, I think having it elsewhere would at the minimum make it nicer to work on.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 is not a great sump, but still better than some... not wide enough for some of the best skimmers. Go bigger if you can. 125g makes a good sump.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 55 is pretty narrow for your skimmer etc. I use a 75 for my 180 It's wider & plenty of room for equipment & an good size refugium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back