Sump or HOB protein skimmer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JennyG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JennyG

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
38
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55 gallon with only an HOB Fluval 70. I’d like to upgrade my filtration but I wonder if I should keep the Fluval and add an HOB protein skimmer or add a sump. I’d like a refugium if possible. The sump could only be 10 gallons due to space limitations. I have a mixed reef
 
I currently have a 55 gallon with only an HOB Fluval 70. I’d like to upgrade my filtration but I wonder if I should keep the Fluval and add an HOB protein skimmer or add a sump. I’d like a refugium if possible. The sump could only be 10 gallons due to space limitations. I have a mixed reef
Adding a sump at this point in my opinion would be quite a challenge. I would suggest a HOB skimmer like the aquaready hob 1.5 or reef octopus 1000. You will need at least 4 inches behind your tank to fit it. FYI I don’t run a sump I have a canister filter and the Aquaready HOB 1.5 and I love it.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new