Sump question

  • Thread starter Thread starter BCash74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BCash74

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
14
Location
Central Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 100ext complete system - very happy with it!

I plan on running a protein skimmer and skipping mechanical filtration. The ideal sump water height for my skimmer is 7-9". However, if I lower my sump height to that water level the water return (after passing through heater chamber) must drop 3 or 4" inches to that 7-9" sump water height. The tank goes from being just about dead silent (when the sump is just about full at 11") to quite noisy due to the water splashing that 3-4".

I could alleviate things by purchasing a skimmer platform to elevate my skimmer a few inches and keeping the sump at the quieter 11" height.

Are there other options?

Thank you in advance.
 
I just bought a 100ext complete system - very happy with it!

I plan on running a protein skimmer and skipping mechanical filtration. The ideal sump water height for my skimmer is 7-9". However, if I lower my sump height to that water level the water return (after passing through heater chamber) must drop 3 or 4" inches to that 7-9" sump water height. The tank goes from being just about dead silent (when the sump is just about full at 11") to quite noisy due to the water splashing that 3-4".

I could alleviate things by purchasing a skimmer platform to elevate my skimmer a few inches and keeping the sump at the quieter 11" height.

Are there other options?

Thank you in advance.
You could DIY the platform as well with eggcrate, PVC pieces and zip ties if you wanted to save money. I think some protein skimmers have height up to eight or 9 inches, but I am not sure about which model and whether it would fit in your system.
 
I just bought a 100ext complete system - very happy with it!

I plan on running a protein skimmer and skipping mechanical filtration. The ideal sump water height for my skimmer is 7-9". However, if I lower my sump height to that water level the water return (after passing through heater chamber) must drop 3 or 4" inches to that 7-9" sump water height. The tank goes from being just about dead silent (when the sump is just about full at 11") to quite noisy due to the water splashing that 3-4".

I could alleviate things by purchasing a skimmer platform to elevate my skimmer a few inches and keeping the sump at the quieter 11" height.

Are there other options?

Thank you in advance.
My skimmer is in the same place as the drains therefore the level stays constant . I set it on a container for storing parts . The stackable type quite sturdy an no noise
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new