Sump Question

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

First let me tell you what I am doing. I currently have a 125 gallon mixed reef tank. The tank does not have a sump and I am planning on adding one to it. I am going to be drilling the tank for a ghost overflow kit and will be running the bean animal set up for the overflow.

With that being said, do you think that a
48" L x 24" W x 18" H sump will be a sufficient size for my tank. With those dimensions it is roughly 90 gallons completely full which it will never be.

Thanks,
Alex

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would you to build a dump with a refuge built in. I have a 40b on a 57 and its overkill lol.

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I , personally, like having an extra large sump. With the trend now to keep very little rock in the display having make-up space in the sump for rock is a nice perk. Also, you can jam alot of equipment in a larger sump.

My total display gallons is 110 but my sump is a 100g trough.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be missing something. A standard 125 is 72x18x22. If your going to put the sump under the stand it won't fit. Maybe the 125 you have is not the standard size

OP
OP
300bowler

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump will be in the room behind the tank in what soon will be my fish room. So I don't have to worry about fitting underneath the tank. But the room is not huge so I can't go crazy on sump size. These dimensions will fit perfectly in the room.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump will be in the room behind the tank in what soon will be my fish room. So I don't have to worry about fitting underneath the tank. But the room is not huge so I can't go crazy on sump size. These dimensions will fit perfectly in the room.

Got it. You will love having the sump in another room.

rogerrgr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be a good size sump for that tank. Enough room for a refugium if you want one. If you're running an in sump skimmer, the 18'' height should allow you to add a skimmer collection container outside the sump if you choose. My sump is a 55 gallon tank and is 22'' tall. It works well, but is too tall to add external collection to my skimmer.

When baffling and setting up the sump, don't forget to accommodate for the extra water volume during a power outage. When some of the water siphons back down to the sump.
Here is mine during water testing

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the basement I do like the extra space but looking to redo it again. I messed up my design and is not functional the way I planned it time for sump 3.0

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back